Common searches

Mouse Movement Bugged (Dosbox Daum)

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ykhwong wrote:

Yeah, KB2908279 does the trick you just need to manually add the DOSBox.exe as described in the main article. Thanks for pointing in the right direction!

Reply 21 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

SDL people are loath to change anything in SDL 1.2x... They want everyone to move to SDL 2.x

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 22 of 26, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

SDL people are loath to change anything in SDL 1.2x... They want everyone to move to SDL 2.x

Darn ... well, maybe ykhwong could switch to using dynamic libraries for SDL? That way people could manually substitute the SDL.dll that work best on their system? I don't really understand the problem well enough to know what the best solution is; just thinking out loud, really.

Reply 23 of 26, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SedrynTyros wrote:
Qbix wrote:

Not really a solution for an official dosbox release though.

Well, it looks like the problem has to do with SDL so perhaps the SDL devs will address the issue.

Don't count on it. The last version of SDL compatible with DOSBox is 1.2.15, and the SDL developers are only active in developing the SDL 2.0 branch, which is incompatible with DOSBox.

I'm interested in knowing what version of SDL 1.2 was used for the official DOSBox 0.74, how it was compiled and why it does not have this problem in Windows 8.x.

Although SDL 1.2.14 was the latest version, released 10/12/2009, when DOSBox 0.74 was officially released on 05/12/2010, DOSBox's SDL reports itself as 1.2.13.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 24 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would suggest that maybe DOSBox should be ported to SDL2, but the problem there is that it reduces portability due to the fact that SDL 1.2 itself has been ported to more platforms than SDL2 probably ever will.

Reply 26 of 26, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a feeling that the SDL_cdrom API is close to standalone, so it can be extracted from SDL 1.2 if desired.

As for improving portability, I'm afraid that a good way to do it is adding more code. One example is targeting SDL 1.2 (for older platforms) and 2.0 (for newer ones) altogether.