VOGONS

Common searches

Can anyone help me get DOSBox running on my PPC Mac?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by bakudd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a 1ghz Powerbook G4 with 1GB RAM, 64MB VRAM and an SSD drive, running OS X 10.4.11

Based on what this page says, I should be able to run games at 486 speed. So I tried installing the Doom shareware wad. It takes a full minute to boot up, and then it runs sloooow, and with no sound. I tried both mounting it straight from DOSBox and using DBGL to change the settings to 386, vga mode, dynamic core, etc but no luck. I was wondering if anyone knew what the cause might be.

Reply 1 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Seems your mac is too slow. You could try my svn built (see my signature) but it's still gonna be slow. Especially as you can't use the dynamic core...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 25, by bakudd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found that I can get an okay framerate in Doom by setting cycles to max, detail to low, and the screen size to about 50%. Still, not what I would call 486 speed. I tried some earlier versions too, but they performed about the same. I also found that DBGL somehow configs it to run very slow.
Does anyone know of a good x86 emulator besides DOSbox that will let me hook up an MT-32 to a powerpc mac?

Reply 6 of 25, by bakudd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

You will not get better speeds.

You probably think that Dosbox is perfectly optimized and a 1ghz g4 is some sort of joke. But I get perfect speeds in all DOS and Windows 95 games using Virtual PC and RealPC under Mac OS 9, and that's a 15 year old operating system. Can I use my MT-32 on those emulators? No, or at least I haven't found a way to do so yet. But both emus let me use a Voodoo 2 in my G4 PCI slot and I can play Half-Life at full-speed easily. No patches, no wrappers, no bullshit. Can Dosbox do that? You tell me.

It's ridiculous to even think that a 1ghz powerpc, which by the way outperforms a 1ghz pentium, somehow cannot be made to play 20 year old dos games at decent speed. I have just now finished setting up QEMU, and I can play Doom on it at nearly full speed. I just need to figure out if I can set up a MIDI device for it to play Ultima Underworld. So the fact remains that Dosbox needs to have some work done.

Last edited by bakudd on 2014-09-19, 15:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The "work done" would be the "dynamic core" that dominus mentioned in his earlier post. The PPC build of DOSBox doesn't have a dynamic core.

Use DOSBox on a x86 machine and be happy or start working on dynarec for ppc.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Calm down.
Don't kill the messenger. I have an old Mac Mini PPC around but I'm not playing anything on it. Why should I limit myself to that thing.
And yes Dosbox needs optimizing but don't go around comparing a virtualizer to an emulator. Huge difference and the cause of the emulator being slower.
Chances are slim that anyone will care enough to make Dosbox faster on Mac PPC machines, since these machines are gling the way of the Dodo. That said if you are willing to optimize Dosbox, the devs will probably integrate your optimizations. If you need help building Dosbox on your machine, give me a "call", it's not that hard (but again will take some time waiting for compilers to finish on a slow machine).

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
DosFreak wrote:

The "work done" would be the "dynamic core" that dominus mentioned in his earlier post. The PPC build of DOSBox doesn't have a dynamic core.

Use DOSBox on a x86 machine and be happy or start working on dynarec for ppc.

This!
The dynamic core is the reason why Dosbox on a Pentium 1GHz will outperform your Mac 1GHz.

Reply 10 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

my Mac Mini with 1.25 GHz G4 gets 0.1 fps in the PCPbenchmark. in their list a 486 DX/33 has 2.5 fps 😀
so, yeah, the wiki is wrong, but I doubted that anyway...

Reply 12 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you would be better off downloading the official 0.74 release since that was also done by rhoenie, and as he wrote above in the link you gave, optimized for G4. The G3 optimized one, still only gives 0.1 fps. The official 0.74 release does give 0.2 fps.
In comparison a modern iMac 3.4 GHz Core i7 gives 79.9 fps. The benchmark lists 21 fps as being Pentium 200 class 😀

Reply 14 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

oh, cool news. I noticed you causing some commits lately 😀

Reply 15 of 25, by bakudd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote:

A PPC dynarec is actually in progress, just sit tight for a couple of weeks.

Is it because of the Wii port? That thing still uses a 729mhz G3... now that's funny. Well, if it is going to be done soon, then I'm happy. Because I have seen references to the ppc dynarec going a few years back, but no one ever completed it apparently.

Reply 16 of 25, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I started it because I wanted to play Red Alert on a wii (and the existing ports had bugs in the TLB code that crashed nearly all protected mode games), but the code should run on any 32-bit powerpc machine. The 729MHz wii can even run quake now... although it's only playable at the smallest screen size.

Reply 17 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bakudd wrote:

Does anyone know of a good x86 emulator besides DOSbox that will let me hook up an MT-32 to a powerpc mac?

Yes. In theory, at least.

bakudd wrote:

But I get perfect speeds in all DOS and Windows 95 games using Virtual PC and RealPC under Mac OS 9, and that's a 15 year old operating system. Can I use my MT-32 on those emulators? No, or at least I haven't found a way to do so yet.

If memory serves, the last PPC version of Virtual PC I used (long time ago, so I'm not 100% sure if it was under OS 9 ), supported USB virtualization . This would have allowed a connected USB device to be driven directly by the guest OS (Windows 95 or 98, for example).

So, in your case, if you were to connect your MT-32 through a USB midi interface, virtualize the USB midi interface and install Windows drivers for it in the guest OS, you should then be able access the MT-32 from Windows .

I have successfully used this technique with other emulators and USB hardware (on a PC, I never had a need for it on a MAC).

Reply 18 of 25, by bakudd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If memory serves, the last PPC version of Virtual PC I used (long time ago, so I'm not 100% sure if it was under OS 9 ), supported USB virtualization . This would have allowed a connected USB device to be driven directly by the guest OS (Windows 95 or 98, for example).

So, in your case, if you were to connect your MT-32 through a USB midi interface, virtualize the USB midi interface and install Windows drivers for it in the guest OS, you should then be able access the MT-32 from Windows .

I have successfully used this technique with other emulators and USB hardware (on a PC, I never had a need for it on a MAC).

I need to use it from DOS though (for Ultima Underworld). Even if I somehow found a way to interface with the emulated SB16 through USB under DOS, it never supported the MPU-401 intelligent mode. Most sound cards didn't support it, and DOSBox and ScummVM are the only two solutions I know of that specifically have a workaround for it.

jmarsh wrote:

I started it because I wanted to play Red Alert on a wii (and the existing ports had bugs in the TLB code that crashed nearly all protected mode games), but the code should run on any 32-bit powerpc machine. The 729MHz wii can even run quake now... although it's only playable at the smallest screen size.

I have the CDs of Red Alert, works great on VPC of course as do all protected-mode games I have tried. When you do release the code, I will try out that game first.