VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Bartjaah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

Let me explain what I want and where I'm heading.
I love to record dosgames and place them on the youtubez so retro viewers can nostalgize. And it's fun to do.

I usually record my games with Hypercam 2. But this method cannot provide me a stable FPS rate.

I want to try a new method, the built-in DosBox recorder (CTRL+ALT+F5). I love the FPS that thing gets. Although the resolution is very small (everything's there though).

So I want to upscale it (to 720p with it holding it's scale 4:3, if the original was 4:3). A possibility ofcourse is throw the recording in Adobe Premiere or After Effects, make a 720p composition, place the DosBox footage in there and drag it up to a fullscreen size. But that's not what I want. This isn't the best quality I want to go for.

I want to upscale the videos using the nearest neighbour function of VirtualDub. Although VirtualDub is telling me that ZMBV isn't available on the footage that I try to load (the DosBox recording).

I made a short screencapture of my problem, perhaps that anyone can help me. (Sorry for the sucky English)

http://youtu.be/d5mRQUkJgJU

Thanks in advance,
Bart.

Reply 1 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So your problem is only the codec? Isn't the dosbox startmenu folder providing an entry to install it? You might need the 32bit version of VirtualDub.
Sorry if that is covered by the video but I really didn't have time to watch 4 minutes to find out the answer might not be covered by it 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

the problem is the installlation of the zmbv codec. do a search here to find whtehr that was already covered. I think it is...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 21, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use ffmpeg. Does beautiful nearest neighbor upscaling of dosbox videos without a hitch, and you can specify the target aspect ratio independently of the stream's pixel's dimensions, which really has to be done since so many youtube presenters/viewers cannot grasp the simple fact the DOS games are targeted at 4:3 displays.
ffpmeg won't *write* zmbv correctly, but youtube is incredibly lossy anyway so it's a moot point; use something like libx264 and you will be fine.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 8 of 21, by Bartjaah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well yeah, I tried FFMpeg a few weeks ago, and it provides an MP4 file (like requested) and that file can't be opened in Premiere or After Effects (well to be honest it can but it's all messed up). Perhaps someone can help me understand FFMpeg a bit better. I have used Avanti (which is FFMPEG with a GUI) but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Perhaps I could make another screenrecord and place it on youtube to show you and maybe you could tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for answering!

Bart.

Reply 9 of 21, by Bartjaah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodbat wrote:

Is your VirtualDub 64 bit? If so...there's your problem.

bartjaah wrote:

Thank you for your answer.
I tried both 64bit and 32bit VirtualDub. And I get errors installing the codec at the DosBox startmenu. Both was covered in the video. Any other ideas?

Bart.

Reply 10 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember doing exactly what you are doing with my very first videos like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh6r4Wu3LaU

But I soon found that I'm not doing anything different than 1000 of other people, well apart from the my videos being the CORRECT ASPECT RATIO 🤣

So I quickly changed to making videos on real MS-DOS Gaming PCs 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 21, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used VirtualDub to resize my video from 320x200 to 1600x1200, which is the next highest resolution that can perfectly preserve the 4:3 aspect ratio with evenly sized pixels. I used the built-in resize filter and nearest neighbor interpolation, but the file size increased from 88MB to 150GB! This was using the uncompressed RGB option. Using the Microsoft Video 1 Codec, I was able to get the file size down to just under 10GB. The ZMBV Codec did not work. There has to be a way to get the same sharp image quality without the hard drive killing file size.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 13 of 21, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bartjaah wrote:

Well yeah, I tried FFMpeg a few weeks ago, and it provides an MP4 file (like requested) and that file can't be opened in Premiere or After Effects (well to be honest it can but it's all messed up). Perhaps someone can help me understand FFMpeg a bit better. I have used Avanti (which is FFMPEG with a GUI) but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Try other output codecs and/or container formats....

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 14 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd forget about VirtualDub and look for something else that has integer scaling. There must be a modern alternative 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 21, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The issue is not Virtualdub (which is "modern" - latest release was last October), it's an issue with installing the codec - right-click on the "Install movie codec" entry on the start menu and choose "Run as administrator". Then use 32-bit (not 64-bit) virtualdub for editing.

Reply 16 of 21, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I figured out the issue, thanks to this post last year :

zonkrified wrote:
I figured this out! Go to Video/Color Depth, and change it to "16 bit RGB (565)" Make sure to force keyframes (from dosbox, orig […]
Show full quote

any attempt to save an AVI in ZMBV format in VirtualDub produces the error message, "Unable to initialize the output video codec. Check that the video codec is compatible with the output video frame size and that the settings are correct, or try a different one."

I figured this out! Go to Video/Color Depth, and change it to "16 bit RGB (565)"
Make sure to force keyframes (from dosbox, orig was every 50 frames), so you can seek during playback.

I'm really glad I got this working, because huffy was giving me a file size of 2.7gb, and in ZMBV it's only 65mb. Excellent codec for old game captures. Might be good for cartoons, too. I think I'll even try it with other stuff.

Its the color depth that needed to be changed for the output to 16-bit RGB, then ZMBV worked like a charm. It was much faster to encode the video and the 1600x1200 video was only 170MB in size. My video was using the usual 16 color 320x200 EGA mode and ran for 7:39. Much more reasonable than the 150GB of uncompressed RGB and the 10GB Microsoft Video 1, the latter of which was still a bit lossy. Thanks zonkrified!

If you want to see the results, here is a download of the raw DOSBox video capture :
http://www.mediafire.com/download/degf7n5bb4p … SBox%20Video.7z

and here is the conversion :
http://www.mediafire.com/download/u45hqlfsmu3 … 20conversion.7z

And here is the Youtube video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiYe7CXPVlM

The files compress really well at 3MB and 40MB, respectively.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 17 of 21, by macaronic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Great Hierophant: Great video - how did you hide the FPS in the top left corner? When I use the built-in recorder the framerate ends up in the my final video. I couldn't find anything in the readme, config file or on the forum. I presume it's something simple that's escaping me.

Reply 18 of 21, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
macaronic wrote:

@Great Hierophant: Great video - how did you hide the FPS in the top left corner? When I use the built-in recorder the framerate ends up in the my final video. I couldn't find anything in the readme, config file or on the forum. I presume it's something simple that's escaping me.

Thanks.

I do not know how a frame rate counter would appear. DOSBox doesn't provide one that I know of, it does not record the one that FRAPS overlays on the video (assuming I was using FRAPS, and I wasn't) and the conversion doesn't add one.

My current view is that one should add links to loss-less versions of any purely emulator-based video, assuming you can get the file size within 2GB or so. How I wish for a site where one can post lossless, high or low resolution videos in 50-70 frames per second.

Reply 19 of 21, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, in VirtualDub's filter menu, there is a checkbox for "Show frame rates". Uncheck that perhaps?