VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Obelovic

User metadata

Hi guys,

I'm very new to DOSBox, so forgive my ignorance.

I installed DOSBox on my Windows XP (Pro, SP1) box. I am using Thrustmaster F-22 stick and F-16 TQS Throttle. These things have been upgraded using the "Digital Chips" (www.stickworks.com). Therefore, they should appear as a 32-button digital device to Windows. Now, when I start DOSBox, I see a message saying just that, it is seeing a 32-button joystick.

I've tested DOSBox by playing Tornado (Digital Integration) v 1.0e (I play it in fullscreen mode). I need a joystick for this game not really to fly, but so that I can have an analog joystick button (ie., 2nd joystick button) to cycle Air-to-Air weapons. You see, the in-game shortcut for this function is Alt-Enter, which coincidentally is a DOSBox shortcut for fullscreen and windowed modes.

Tornado supports 3 kinds of joysticks: Standard, Thrustmaster and CH Products. If I choose either Thrustmaster or CH, the game presents me with a calibration screen (or so it seems). The problem is it seems that the game is not registering any stick movements. If I choose Standard, the game doesn't ask me to calibrate the stick and allows me to proceed. However, when I am in the cockpit, the game doesn't seem to register stick movements either. Even worse, the game seems to think that the 1st joystick button is pressed and empties the cannon.

Please note that this joystick functions perfectly in Windows.

Now, my questions are:
- Does anybody here use a similar joystick? Does it work in DOSBox? What game are you running?
- Does anybody here play Tornado? Can you configure your joystick in this game? How?
- Is it possible to change/disable the Alt-Enter DOSBox shortcut?

Thanks for your attention.

- Obelovic

Reply 1 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alt+Enter is more of a Windows hotkey combination than it is a DOSBox hotkey combination... been that way for switching between fullscreen and windowed modes since Windows 95.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 4, by obelix_delft

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to play Tornado last night, with my Thrustmaster HOTAS set (with digital chip) under WinXP. First, make sure that the stick is in Windows mode. Then choose CH Joystick (or perhaps Standard will work also). Do not choose Thrustmaster. The game accepts the calibration of my stick. I can use it in-game also.

So, in my case, Tornado seems to work properly under DOSBox (have to actually fly a full mission, though, before getting to conclusions). My only gripe now is that the game UI (ie., mission planner, etc) is always displayed off-center by my monitor (strange res and freq, perhaps?). The actual game itself is correctly displayed. It's not a really big deal, but I would appreciate it if somebody can tell me how to fix this.

Regards,
- Obelix