VOGONS

Common searches

Bin/Cue with OGG?

Topic actions

First post, by kjps86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to create a bin/cue pair with an ogg file in the .bin it that is a compressed version of the original redbook cd audio, and have it noted in the .cue file to work as the original CD? I'm trying to make a portable disc image of a relatively small size (>60mb) that I can use between different PCs.

Reply 1 of 20, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Wikipedia summarizes the cue/bin format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet_%28computing%29. The format allows for external compressed files. However, you could try an archive: https://icculus.org/physfs ; I believe Ykhwong's build is patched with this feature, although you could use the physfs library in other instances. Another example of an archival format is a .PBP file (google should provide links).

Reply 2 of 20, by kjps86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So far I have been using a cue/bin pair with the ogg file stored externally (originally, of course, it was the redbook audio track on the CD) and the cue file pointing to the external location. This is just a little messy and I'd like to insert it into the bin file if possible (or an iso file).

Just figured I'd clarify what I am trying to do

Reply 5 of 20, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey check out my thread:

Phil's "Playing GOG.com games on your MS-DOS Gaming PC" Thread

I show how to burn various GOG.com games onto disc 😀

You basically do the opposite of what I do in the video. Convert the tracks to OGG, but the files into an iso and rename to bin and then create the cue sheet.

But there was someone here who wrote a tool to do all of this! But good luck finding it...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You mean New util for DosBox users. ?

I'm pretty sure that's not what the OP is aiming at. As Mr. Joey_sw implies, a two-file bin/cue pair inherently requires uncompressed data and there's no way around it except for what Mr. Truth mentioned.

Reply 7 of 20, by kjps86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I am trying to do is as follows:

Take an original disk that combines data+redbook audio for a game. Turn it into a bin/cue pair. The cue sheet would look like this:

FILE "GAME.BIN" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:03:00
INDEX 01 04:00:00

Then compress the audio track to a ogg file and reinsert it into the bin file, and point the cue sheet to that instead of the TRACK 02 AUDIO.

I'm pretty sure that, based on what I have read, this is impossible. Right now I simply placed the ogg file in the game's install directory and edit the cue file to tell it to look for it there, so that it looks like this:

FILE "GAME.BIN" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
FILE "C:\DOSGAMES\GAMEINSTALLDIRECTORY\TRACK02.OGG" MP3
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:03:00
INDEX 01 04:00:00

I'd like to be able to put it in the bin file in order to make the game more portable between computers. I use DBGL to keep things organized, and editing the cue sheet this way makes the game work in DOSBox but DBGL doesn't like it since it does not recognize the file as being where the cue sheet says it is (due to mounting the GAMEINSTALLDIRECTORY as the C:\ drive it doesn't show the bin/cue pair as a viable image). My final goal is to have a much smaller image that still operates like the original CD--installing, playing, saving and so on like normal, but with a much smaller footprint on my hard drive/USB drive.

It is entirely likely this task isn't possible. I appreciate the responses and hope I haven't been annoying in asking this question. I will have to check out the cue sheet generator, but I have zero experience compiling software in Windows (I did it a few years ago in Linux and it was like pulling teeth) so I figured I would offer the ultimate clarification here to be sure it might work for what I am trying to do.

Reply 8 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

cue files support relative stuff
so
file "track02.ogg" MP3

or something similar should work as well, which is portable.

*moved to dosbox general*

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 20, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's exactly how GOG offers some of their games and DOSBox has no issue with it. Go check out Mau1wurf1977's video playlist on GOG games and you'll see how it's down...erm, in reverse, but you'll get the gist of what you need to do.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 10 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Rip the data track as iso, rip the audio tracks as oggs, then use New util for DosBox users. to make a nice cue sheet

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 20, by kjps86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I swear I can normally work things out on my own, but this is just driving me up the wall. I used the cue sheet generator (neat tool, by the way) and made the bin/cue pair as needed. The cue file now looks like this:

FILE "GAME.BIN" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
FILE "track02.ogg" MP3
TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 01 03:00:00

The ogg file is in the root of the bin directory (i.e. were I to mount the image it would be d:\track02.ogg). Nothing. Neither DOSBox nor DBGL recognize it as a viable image, though if I remove the

FILE "track02.ogg" MP3
TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 01 03:00:00

part then it is recognized as an image and the game will play, but with no CD audio, which in this game means no speech. I'm about ready to write this one off and pursue other things, but figured I would see if there is anything I might be overlooking that is very simple.

Thanks for reading

Reply 12 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Did you rip the data track to ISO format? Usually an ISO format file has a .ISO extension, not a .BIN extension.

I'm used to seeing the cuesheet index times of compressed audio tracks as 00:00:00 because they're determined by the play length of the audio file(s). Not sure how important it is, though.

Reply 13 of 20, by kjps86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried both an ISO and a BIN format now. Looking at this thread cannot mount cue/iso/ogg informs me that it likely is not possible to place the ogg files in either a BIN or ISO file and have a cue sheet point to them. I will have to put them elsewhere, I suppose.

Reply 14 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, the index is wrong and should be 0:0... For all files

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 20, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Try this binary: download/file.php?id=12998. A second test is to convert the ogg files to wav files (ffmpeg.exe) and update the cue sheet accordingly. These two tests confirm that dosbox has ogg capability and that the ogg formatted files are compatible with the external libraries.

I expect the mode1/2352 is correct as seen in the above cue sheet, but it would take little time to try: mode1/2048, mode2/2048, and mode2/2352.

Reply 17 of 20, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do, but I believe what you want is the compressed audio to be included in a single file along with the data, like a traditional cue/bin pair where everything is in the .bin and the .cue just points at the index of each item. Never seen it done with compressed audio.
If you're using my generator...the file name for the .ogg files needs to match whatever file names you used...otherwise it won't be recognized as a valid image anywhere, since...well...it's missing data. So check what you named your files.

Reply 18 of 20, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Hey check out my thread: […]
Show full quote

Hey check out my thread:

Phil's "Playing GOG.com games on your MS-DOS Gaming PC" Thread

I show how to burn various GOG.com games onto disc 😀

You basically do the opposite of what I do in the video. Convert the tracks to OGG, but the files into an iso and rename to bin and then create the cue sheet.

But there was someone here who wrote a tool to do all of this! But good luck finding it...

The address to download it was in the original post, but here it is again, so it's easier to find...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cuegen/

Reply 19 of 20, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You aren't trying to pack the OGG inside of the ISO, are you? Just place the ISO, OGG and the CUE in the game's directory and mount the CUE.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers