VOGONS

Common searches

3dfx and DosBox..

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by zmiennik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Ive been recently trying to install windows 9x under dosbox..however I have never been able to use 3dfx and I am not sure what I do wrong...

I followed all the steps provided here installing win 98se (Guide) How to Install Win98se with 3dfx driver in Dosbox
and also tried to install win95 following the link here Guide - Windows 95 on DOSBox 0.74

it's just after installation I check the device manager to see if there is anything called "voodoo" and there is none.
I tried to open colin mcrae rally but the game says "no 3d card" and it won't run.

I installed the voodoo 3dfx driver manually after installation with no problems at all, but it's still not there!

to be precise I don't have a problem installing windows under dosbox...it's just I can't see 3dfx accelerator in device manager and I don't know what to do to make it visible or/and to make it work

Please help me...

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using the SVN Daum build of DOSBox? If you are using Megabuild 6, that is severely out of date at this point.

If you still have problems with the SVN Daum version, you may need to add the PCI Bus manually, as per If you have a hard time installing the 3DFX driver in Windows 95 (fix) , but that may have been fixed.

Reply 2 of 6, by zmiennik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thanks very much for you reply.
I managed today to install win98 se under dosbox with the 3dfx Voodoo accelerator.
I did this without using java version of dosbox so it was quick installation but the system now crashes a lot...
Do you think you can play games under it without problems? I managed to run only Colin McRae Rally but it was slowing down, and crashed at the end.

My config is i5 2 cores, ...laptop
Hd 4000 + gtx 660m

I actually hope that I did something wrong and that it is possible to play the game and other games smoothly.
Have you compared VMware with 3d acceleration to dosbox Daum?

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zmiennik wrote:

Do you think you can play games under it without problems?

No, no one will tell you that trying to run 3D accelerated Windows games using DOSBox is an especially good idea at this point. If you want to run Colin McRae Rally under Windows XP or Windows 7, I suggest you look for an appropriate patch before you try to run it under DOSBox.

zmiennik wrote:

Have you compared VMware with 3d acceleration to dosbox Daum?

VMware only supports hardware acceleration under Windows XP and later. There is no real way to compare the two.

Reply 5 of 6, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nGlide has worked fine for me so far both for DosBox and Windows (7 64) games...the only potential problem would be installing games with 16 bit installers (like Get Medieval) but most are easily solved using a virtual machine and then moving your install to the non virtualized Windows.

Reply 6 of 6, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes you can run Colin Mc Rae Rally under Win95 in Dosbox.

You musst Change the config of Dosbox so that is uses Opengl.

output=opengl
voodoo=opengl
glide=emu

And you must Install PCI Bus in Windows95, then it detects the Voodoo-Card.

I tested it with Dosbox SVN Daum 2013 May 06