VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently installed DOSBox on a friend's laptop, and I put the SVN version on because of course it's much newer and much more advanced than the last official release (0.74). Using an SVN* version isn't a problem of course, as long as we know where to download it, but it does make me wonder why no one has ever released an official version later than 0.74, as new users might not know to use an SVN version, and also anyone new to DOSBox might think it's been abandoned since it's so long since it was updated (if you judge it simply by 0.74's release date).

Is there a new official release planned? And if not, why were the official releases stopped at 0.74? Is it some sort of copyright or legal problem that prevents new official releases?

Whatever, thanks very, VERY much to everyone involved in DOSBox (official and unofficial) as it really is a superb program and is invaluable for getting DOS games to run on modern PCs.

Edit: I should say, the reason I mention this is that I think it might be hard for new users to know what version of DOSBox to use, whereas if there are periodic official releases then most users will be happy to use the latest release.

* By the way, what does 'SVN' stand for, please?

Reply 1 of 4, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The level of forum activity for DOSBox should indicate that it is not abandonded. For those who know how to use it, it pretty much just works at this point for virtually all DOS games.

I essentially consider the current SVN as 0.75 (with a few patches added), but that is just my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Subversion - definition of SVN

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 4, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

The level of forum activity for DOSBox should indicate that it is not abandonded

True, but for those who are new to DOSBox, it might seem that v0.74 is the latest and best version.

. For those who know how to use it, it pretty much just works at this point for virtually all DOS games.

Yep. DOSBox is a fantastic program, and runs (very well) everything I want to play.

I essentially consider the current SVN as 0.75 (with a few patches added), but that is just my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Subversion - definition of SVN

I see. Thanks for that.

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

0.74 is the latest and best version as far as regular users are concerned.

If they have a issue then they need to tell us. It may or may not be fixed in the SVN.

The SVN isn't ideal for regular users since a change may possibly break something.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

0.74 is the latest and best version as far as regular users are concerned.

If they have a issue then they need to tell us. It may or may not be fixed in the SVN.

The SVN isn't ideal for regular users since a change may possibly break something.

Oh OK, I didn't know that, thanks.