VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by coltrane

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry about my lack of knowledge on this but what is an opcode? Is it too hard to fix/implement?

Thanks for reading.

Reply 2 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Opcode: Short for Operation Code.

An processor instruction usually consist of an opcode + some data used in the instruction. E.g. the instruction to call a sub-routine, consist of the CALL opcode + the ADDRESS of the sub-routine.
--
MiniMax

Last edited by MiniMax on 2004-01-30, 01:59. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 5, by coltrane

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for the explanations. I´ve asked it because DosBox is showing me the following message, right after my game crashes and exit:

EXIT TO ERROR: CPU:GRP5:ILLEGAL CALL 7

I presume that this could be caused by one opcode not implemented yet. This one in particular could be fixed? Or do you need more info to solve this issue?

Thanks again.
Rcoltrane.

Reply 5 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

As written in the errormessage:
ILLEGAL call.
This isn't a valid opcode at all.
Probably some code goes wrong and and interrupt tables becomes cs:ip => leads ultimately to that error.

As Quoted from our faq:

he CPU emulation encountered an instruction it doesn't emulate yet or and illegal instruction.
This can mean the game uses some advanced CPU functions not emulated yet or something goes wrong and non-code gets executed.
All in all nothing you can do anything about but wait for a newer version.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!