VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ridley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heyyy,

i've recently re-discovered the awesomeness of DOS gaming, hurrah !

Been browsing the forum for a couple of days now and noticed alot of people build there own machines to get the best out of DOS gaming, while i dont think i want to go that far i am willing to buy an older monitor but what im wondering is.... is it easy / worth it to buy an old CRT / TFT monitor and just emulate Dosbox through it? sometimes i think if the pixels were not stretched as much and i was playing it as it was meant to be played, the game would be so much more enjoyable. Just some general guidance or point in the right direction from some of the vets around would be useful or thread to read that i've missed.

Cheers
Ridley

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think you should either go with an old setup with real Dos or just use Dosbox, disable scalers and enjoy it like this. Using an old monitor will IMO only bring grief instead of joy 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 6, by Ridley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmmm i did briefly try, though the blackness filling up the rest of the screen put me off, maybe i just need to man up and get with the programme. I just thought if i got a daft little monitor it would be simple as pluggin it in, bit of fiddling with settings etc hey presto DOS at its finest on a 17" monitor or something 😜

Reply 3 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The blackness can be solved differently. Since I didn'tencounter it in the last few years, someone else needs to "fix" that 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A little note that you need at least normal2x on anyway for 320x200/240 to look right. I'ts doublescan and your CRT probably does not support actual 320x200 video modes.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 6, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it might be more of an issue with the video card. I had an old NVidia AGP card that could display those low resolutions properly on my monitor, which in turn made it look authentic.