VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if the tandy emulator in DOSBox (r3869 + 0.74) is causing this, or this is how it's supposed to sound, but I'm getting some buzzing in Skate or Die when running it in Tandy mode. Here's how it sounds on real hardware (Tandy 1000 RL): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8_z_CI37JE
Instead of that buzzing some distorted guitar sounds should play (possibly digital samples, like in tracker music?)
Also when I start the game I am supposed to press the space bar to hear a test tone (you can hear it in the example I attached), but under DOSBox it plays right after I start the game, even after lowering the cycles and available memory.

Attachments

• Filename
    skate_000.ogg
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Downloads
    61 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those digital samples are played-back using PWM through the SN76496 core, similar to how it can be done with the PC speaker. This type of playback isn't yet supported (properly) in DOSBox' SN76496 emulation.

Reply 2 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

and don't expect it to be supported unless you want to rewrite the 76496 emulation core.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did you disable the soundblaster, as that is kind of important for tandy dac emulation.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 5, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, it wasn't disabled but I tried changing the sbtype, oplmode (not that it would've made any difference anyway), oplemu, and oplrate (was previously higher than the general sound rate in the config file, whoops!), but none of those fixed the problem. I don't think this has to do with the Tandy DAC, as Cloudschatze pointed out previously, the game doesn't use it (unfortunately)