VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox lag?

Topic actions

First post, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I play dos fps games via dosbox like Duke Nukem 3D and Doom I dont do very well but when I run them them via ports like Duke Nukem 3D Megaton or Chocolate Doom I do much much better on the same skill level could this be down to input lag?

How could I fix this problem as there are a lot of platform games that I have the same issue with in dosbox but there isn't any other way for me to run them as I sold all my old PC equipment.

My system is an ageing Windows 7, i7 2600, 8GB, GTX 770. I am using a Razor Deathadder 2013 and MS Sidewinder x4 keyboard for input. I don't have any issues with current games.

Steam | World of Warcraft

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Emulation vs. running them natively.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 6, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah that's why I went and grabbed a few older machines again now. The RTS game I used to play when I was younger doesn't work so well under DOSbox, it's extremely choppy and laggy (Earth 2140). Besides it's much more fun to actually have the real deal. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 4 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would blame SDL more than anything, but then again blaming SDL for anything is considered blasphemy, having been cyberbullied about it before. Gotta love "standards"

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Maybe it has been because the detailless blame 😉
SDL has many shortcomings especially SDL 1.2x but if you want a crossplatform app there is not much one can do except go for the even heavier solutions that are not really tailored for gaming (QT, GTK...).
Supposedly SDL2 makes many things better but who knows without properly porting and a lot of testing...

Edit: biggest shortcoming of SDL 1.2x is that there is no more development, only important fixes get applied and that only to the code repository, a new release will never be...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper