Common searches

Gamepad not working

Topic actions

First post, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I tried using DOSBox with my gamepad again after a couple of years and it doesn't work anymore. I didn't change any settings from the last time. I've actually had a gamepad problem with DOSBox back then, but I thought I resolved it. Now it once again does not work.

I have a Logitech Dual Action USB, 4 axis, 12 buttons which DOSBox recognizes. However, I remember that I had set the joysticktype to 2axis instead and set all the options below it to false and it worked (suggested from another thread I found; because setting it to 4axis did not work). Fiddling with the options true/false does nothing. Looking at the control panel for calibration, this gamepad is calibrated, as it has been.

Any help is appreciated.

Reply 2 of 24, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I have. As I said, I tried messing around with the options with different combinations, unfortunately with no success. I don't think my gamepad is nonfunctional. DOSBox recognizes it, Windows recognizes it (and detects the button presses/joystick movements in Control Panel) and it works with certain games and through programs like Joy2Key. There must be something I'm missing.

Reply 3 of 24, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I have the Logitec Dual Action USB mgman, and it works fine in both Dosbox 0.74 and the latest SVN Daum build. Strange that it doesn't work for you.

What version of Windows are you using? I have Windows 7 64, and the 64-bit version of the Logitec Profiler Software gave me problems with Dosbox - either games couldn't find the gamepad or they acted as if I was using the keyboard instead. If you have the Profiler installed, remove it and try Dosbox again; if you don't have the Profiler, then try another USB gamepad. Dosbox should work with just about any USB game controller that works in Windows.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 4 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Are you editing the correct config?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 24, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's on Windows XP, which I use for my old-school gaming. Just very strange that it suddenly stopped working in DOSBox.

I edited the dosbox.conf file, which is what I always do; worked last time.

Reply 6 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The default config for Dosbox 0.74 is no longer dosbox.conf but "dosbox 0.74.conf" in your userspace somewhere. In the startmenu 0.74 installer will add an option to edit the config and will use the correct one.
Also the console Window should state which config is being used.
Just saying that THIS could be your problem.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 24, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I'll give it a try and get back to you. Though I don't really think it'll make much difference, I hope it works. I'm experiencing the same problem with a couple of earlier versions of DOSBox I have laying around.

EDIT: No dice. This is frustrating.

Also:

JayCeeBee64 wrote:

I have the Logitec Dual Action USB mgman, and it works fine in both Dosbox 0.74 and the latest SVN Daum build. Strange that it doesn't work for you.

What version of Windows are you using? I have Windows 7 64, and the 64-bit version of the Logitec Profiler Software gave me problems with Dosbox - either games couldn't find the gamepad or they acted as if I was using the keyboard instead. If you have the Profiler installed, remove it and try Dosbox again; if you don't have the Profiler, then try another USB gamepad. Dosbox should work with just about any USB game controller that works in Windows.

This is the only Gamepad I have. It would mean having to buy another one just for DOSBox, as this one works perfectly for anything else.

Reply 9 of 24, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It gives me this result:

There are 1 joysticks attached
Joystick 0: Logitech Dual Action USB
axes: 4
balls: 0
hats: 1
buttons: 12

That's pretty consistent with what DOSBox status window reads too.

Reply 10 of 24, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Since dosbox sees the gamepad, and dosbox is calling SDL functions for gamepad use, then a SDL cause seems likely.

One test is running Mednafen which uses SDL. Could verify a version using SDL 1.2.x and see if the gamepad works.

Also, here's an experimental program for inside dosbox to test the gamepad: Writing for dosbox - joystick IO? [JoyMon app & source link].

Reply 11 of 24, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried the JoyMon program and indeed, my gamepad's button presses/stick movements are not being detected in the program in DOSBox.
What confuses me about the SDL file is that it the gamepad worked 2 years ago and the SDL file wasn't modified/replaced since then. Untouched.

I'll try Mednafen.

EDIT: Mednafen's a pretty cool program. Anyway, not only does it recognize my gamepad, the gamepad works with it. By the way, the name sounds like a prescription drug 😜

Reply 14 of 24, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This mapper file is found in the 0.70 folder (attached). Only 0.70 has a mapper file on my hard drive. Looks like uninstalling would have to be the extreme measure, although these folders haven't been touched since 2 years.

Attachments

• Filename
    mapper.txt
    File size
    2.8 KiB
    Downloads
    111 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 24, by truth_deleted

User metadata

That was insightful of qbix. 😀 I noted your gamepad settings in mapper.txt, for example:

jbutton_0_0 
jbutton_0_1
jaxis_0_1-
jaxis_0_1+
jaxis_0_0-
jaxis_0_0+

These don't appear mapped to the gamepad functions. Try Control-F1 to map the buttons and joystick so that the mapper file is updated with events.

This is from the wiki:

You want to swap the y-axis of the joystick because some flightsim uses the up/down joystick movement in a way you don't like, and it is not configurable in the game itself:
Start the mapper and click on Y- in the first joystick field. EVENT should be jaxis_0_1-.
Click on Del to remove the current binding, then click Add and move your joystick downwards. A new bind should be created.
Repeat this for Y+, save the layout and finally test it with some game.

Reply 19 of 24, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still nothing... But it gets stranger. I went back and tried again on the debug branch of DOSBox and it works?! No changes to the keymapper either...

Well, this is a partial solution, but I'm still kind of baffled at why it doesn't work on the other versions, including the one that it worked before.