VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by navpirx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unless I misunderstood something, I think there was a DOSBox beta/release candidate version called 0.66 a while before 0.70 was released. I would like to test said version with a certain game (Blake Stone), so I've spent quite a long time looking for it (or any sort of build based on it) on the Internet, but it appears that all the links are already dead. Is the 0.66 version still available anywhere?

Reply 1 of 5, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried this? It was one of the top results in a simple google search for dosbox 0.66 and the links are live (at least the first one is, and that seems to be the one you want):

http://news.warpevents.eu/en/home/news_archiv … netlabsorg.html

Reply 2 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why would you want to try it? You should always use the latest. Are you having trouble with 0.74?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 5, by navpirx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
emendelson wrote:

Have you tried this? It was one of the top results in a simple google search for dosbox 0.66 and the links are live (at least the first one is, and that seems to be the one you want):

http://news.warpevents.eu/en/home/news_archiv … netlabsorg.html

Right, these links are all over the place. They're for OS/2, not useful for a Windows user like me. Perhaps I should have specified that in the original post.

collector wrote:

Why would you want to try it? You should always use the latest. Are you having trouble with 0.74?

Yes, I'm having trouble with 0.74. I've already tried 0.74, as well as a good number of in-betweens, and Blake Stone always stutters whenever the screen is flashing (like when items are picked up). Said stutter is not there in 0.65, but 0.65 also apparently isn't fast enough and the game slows down in some particularly busy places. I'm trying to find a version which does not have the stutter and is also able to run the game smoothly all the time.

Reply 4 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is no 0.66 version.
Some of the beta's/release candidates were called 0.66, but it was released as 0.70.

If you are looking into "versions" between 0.65 and 0.70, then you have to indeed either search the web, or compile them yourselves.

0.66/0.70 did have several beta's because of the large number of changes to the code. Maybe somebody leaked them, but I don't think it is a good idea if I were to post them.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is the reason why they are interested: Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold lags whenever the screen is flashing

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto