VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope someone with a similar setup can help me out:

I have a NAS (DS214) set up as an iSCSI target for a single W7x64 PC. My intention was to mount images of my DOS games' CD's from there to use in DOSBox. Performance however, turned out to be horrible: there are constant hickups and hitches during any sort of video or (CD) audio playback, but basically during 'everything'. Mounting the exact same files from a local drive works just fine. The NAS' performance itself is great otherwise, reading and writing at ~80-110MB/s, which should be more than enough for this purpose.

The NAS is connected via a quality GB switch and short (0.5m & 2m) cat. 6 cables. The iSCSI target is mapped as 'local drive' X:, so I have my DOSBox' C: mounted via mount c x:\[stuff] and images via imgount d x:\[stuff] -t iso.

Are there any know issues? Should I configure something specifically/differently for this setup? Is there just some network overhead that can not be worked around?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

*edit: this is the same on 0.74 and SVN r3876.

Reply 1 of 1, by eraH_retired

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Don't think I can help with this one, just note, that there is a difference between throughput and access times. But, if you are running iSCSI on your NAS, then you probably thought of that. 😀
Maybe something like IOMeter can help pinpoint the problem?