VOGONS

Common searches

Dosbox not accepting input from keyboard

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by pHEN2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had the following problem?

I have been using dosbox for a number of years without any issues including version 0.74. At some point over the last 6 months during which time the only changes have been automated window 7 updates I have found I have lost access to keyboard input within dosbox. In other words at the z: prompt I am unable to type in anything from my keyboard with none of the keys being recognised. This appears to be application specific as outside of dosbox 0.74 there does not appear to be a problem. As an experiment I have tried some of the more recent versions of dosbox i.e. EMUCR including dosbox SVN 3876 which appears to have the same problem. Interestingly, I have found that that this problem does not occur in Taewoong's most recent build which is based on the SVN 3852 base. However, the problem does occur with the EMUCR build of dosbox SVN 3852.

Apologise for discussing builds which are not official releases but this appears to be the only way I have been able to continue to use dosbox. I was wondering if anyone had come across similar issues and had any solutions so that it is possible to use the 'mainstream' version of dosbox. Thanks.

My system: Alienware M15x, 8Gb ram, Win 7, Nvidia GTX 460m, Intel core i7-720QM

Reply 3 of 7, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Describe your troubleshooting steps which may save time, such as your attempt above.

Try output=overlay. If you are unfamiliar with dosbox configuration, then there is documentation on changing output modes. The output mode change isn't a solution, but instead is a test to try.

Also, at windows command prompt, could try this:
set sdl_videodriver=windib
dosbox.exe

Where your current working directory is the dosbox directory.

Reply 4 of 7, by pHEN2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, so I have uninstalled dosbox completely and made sure that any config files for dosbox in the dosbox folder have been removed. I have also made sure that there are no dosbox config files saved in the user directory i.e. c:\users\username\appdata\local\dosbox\. I have then reinstalled Dosbox from scratch but when I run it I have the same problem as before in that no keyboard input is recognised at the prompt z:\>. I should point out that it is all keyboard input that is no recognised and not just particular keys as has been described by others previously. At the sametime Dosbox special key combinations for altering the CPU cycles such as Ctrl+F11 or Ctrl+F12 and CTrl+F1 (keyboard mapper) are no recognised. If I start dosbox and set the config file so that it run a program once dosbox opens the program will run but mouse input is fine but again the keyboard is not recognised.

As suggested I have altered my config file to change the output=overlay but this has not made a difference and unfortunately trying to set sdl_videodriver=windib then running
dosbox does not resolve the problem either. I guess it may be that I have come across an obscure bug which has been resolved (unintentional?) by one of the unofficial builds.

Reply 5 of 7, by pHEN2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again, I seem to have got keyboard input being recognised by DOSbox now.

To get things working I needed to disable the OSD (On screen display program) that is installed by my laptop manufacturer (Alienware) and is used to display on screen notifications. Then at the windows command prompt do:
set sdl_videodriver=windib
dosbox.exe

However, if I do not do all of these things (i.e. disable OSD and set sdl_videodriver) the problem I described previously reoccurs. Strange how this problem has only developed at some point in the last few months.

Anyway, just like to say thanks to truth5678 for your help.

Reply 6 of 7, by truth_deleted

User metadata

That's good news. 😀 You may search for other Alienware specific software/drivers which load on computer startup. Also, try disabling Windows 7 desktop composition and any other associated services which affect the desktop. That latter issue has been reported repeatedly and seems like a faster way to deprecate software than the old fashioned way of deprecating APIs.