VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rotaxt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

may i ask you a short question: currently i try to use that wonderful DBGL-tool, but i have one problem and tried for
hours now to solve it, without success.

i configured my DOSBox SVN itself to start in windows-mode in 1280x800, no scaler, using a CRT-Shader.
when i start DOSbox alone it launches exactly like this, everything works fine.

now i configured DBGL to use this DOSBox SVN as standard dosbox.

now when i add a game profile in DBGL and klick run profile DBGL/DOSBox ignores the settings with any game.
the window is much smaller, no shader will be activated.

if i look into the game profile in DBGL i can see the settings are: direct3d, start in windows mode and under 'experimental'
the CRT-Shader ist set.

however, when starting DBGL these settings will not be used.

do you know what i can do to fix this problem?

best regards

Reply 1 of 10, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, a couple things here...

1. DOSBox SVN doesn't include the patches necessary to use shaders. You have to use an alternate build that includes the appropriate patches, such as the DAUM builds by Yhkwong.
2. You likely failed to press the "Switch" button on the General tab when you set the DBGL profile to that DOSBox version. If you press that button, DBGL will revise the settings it makes available to be appropriate for the DOSBox version selected (for SVN builds that should mean all the Experimental options under Display will be disabled).

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 2 of 10, by rotaxt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi kolano!

thanks for your fast response.

1.) yes yes i am using the DAUM-version by Yhkwong. i just thought the "vanilla" DOSBox ist the pure DOSbox and SVN means automatically the version of Yhkwong 😀

2.) can you explain a bit more detailed please - i think you gave the solution for my problem but i am not quite sure if i understand you right with that "switch-thing". so let's assume i unzip a fresh DBGL. after that i copy a fresh DAUM-Dosbox-version into the DBGL-folder, i created a new one called "DOSBox Daum". I open DBGL and set the DAUM-version to be used as standard-version. so far so good.

my next goal is now that anytime, when i start a game, it should be opened as a window with 1280x800 together with my preferred CRT-shader. Do i have to configure DOSBox directly for it (the config in my DOSBox Daum-folder) - or do i have to leave DOSBOX Daum untouched and set up everything only via DBGL?

Reply 3 of 10, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DBGL should override the config in the DAUM-folder, just leave it alone.

The "Switch" button reconfigures the available options under DBGL to align with the version of DOSBox used. It's found on the "General" tab of each profile beside a selector for the DOSBox version to use. If the experimental Display options are not disabled than the profile is likely already already aligned with the DAUM version.

One other thing you may need to investigate, is the contents of the "dosroot" folder. DBGL shares that folder across different instances of DOSBox it's configured to use. The following should be copied there instead of within the individual DOSBox folders...

• The "SHADERS" directory
  • Glide wrappers
  • MT-32 ROMs
  • Sound-fonts

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 4 of 10, by rotaxt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello again.

thank you for your patience with me but it is still not working. damn it 🙁 !

1. i installed a fresh DBGL
2. i created a new folder inside of DBGL and named it DOSBox Daum. i copied a fresh DOSBox Daum into it
3. i copied the two needed mt-32-roms into the DOSROOT-folder inside of DBGL. i also copied the folder SHADERS into the dosroot-folder.
so the SHADERS-folder with its shaders exists twice now, one time in the DOSROOT-folder and one time still in the DOSBox Daum-folder.
4. i created another subfolder inside of DBGL named "Games"
5. i created a subfolder called WC inside of the game folder and copied Wing Commander into it
6. i opened DBGL via the launch.exe
7. i went to the DOSBox-Versions tab, added my DOSBox Daum-version and marked the field 'default'
8. i clicked "add profile" to create a WC-Profile. I have set the right folder for the install.exe & game.exe under the tab "mounting"
9. under the tab "general" there is already "DOSBox DAUM" assigned, so this "Switch"-button is grey, i can not klick it.
10. under all other tab's i do have access to their "experimental"-sections. under display / official options: i chose output:direct3d / scaler: none / window resolution: 1024x768 / aspect correction: yes
under experimental i chose: pixelshader: CRT-geom-curved.fx / vsync: yes all the other fields i left untouched like autofit / linewise / fonts-9pixel etc. because i don't know what these options are doing (is there any faq existing for every single field? i am very interested in it but did not find a documention so far. it would be great if i just go with the mouse cursor over every field and a short live description pops up what this function will do...)

11. if i klick "run profile" now Wing Commander starts with its correct and wanted screen size, but the pixel shader is still ignored. oh man...

please don't understand me wrong, i am not a pro, but i am also not unexperienced. i am able to config the vanilla daum-version to all my needs and everything works like a charm, but with DBGL it seems
obviously difficult for me to get these desired settings working together with DBGL. i like the concept of DBGL very much, so hopefully i think with your help we will be able to get these shaders running 😀

by the way: what i like very much is the cover art and the small screenshots of the games when creating a profile catched from moby games. when the profile is ready i can see the tiny pictures of the box art and the screenshots, but i can also see like an overlay the name of every picture like 001-front-cover. 002-back-cover, 003-title-screen and so on. do you know what i mean? i personally find this not so nice so is there a way to suppress the filenames of the images so that i can see only the pure images?

once again thank you for your help, i am so happy that i found this forum 😀

best regards

Reply 5 of 10, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Rotaxt,

Sorry to hear you have a hard time with this. I tried the shaders myself with YKHWong's latest build (with and without using DBGL), and also cannot get them to work. I'm not exactly sure what's going on; the status window states that the shader is 'active' but that does not actually seem to be the case. Please realize that many new functions and features are very new and sometimes hardly tested.

YKHWong's previous version works fine though, so you may want to try that instead. Just make sure that you have the "SHADERS" directory in your DBGL dosroot folder. BTW you also may want to move your game folders in there, so that DBGL can use relative folders instead of absolute ones.

...because i don't know what these options are doing (is there any faq existing for every single field? i am very interested in it but did not find a documentation so far. it would be great if i just go with the mouse cursor over every field and a short live description pops up what this function will do...

This is actually implemented for most of the 'official' options, just not for the experimental ones. You may find some information in the file dosbox.conf, though I agree that this information is rather scarce and that a more in-depth explanation on each-and-every setting may only be found somewhere on Vogons.

...to suppress the filenames of the images so that i can see only the pure images

Simply Go to File->Preferences->Gui Options and un-check the first checkbox 'Display filename in image'.

Attachments

• Filename
    shaders2.png
    File size
    24.6 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    shaders.png
    File size
    1.32 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

Reply 6 of 10, by rotaxt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

THANK YOU !!! I followed your advice and took the previous DAUM version now, it works perfectly with the shaders via DBGL. but what is strange: you wrote with the latest DAUM version you are not able to get the shaders to work even with DOSBox Daum alone. The shaders with latest DOSBox alone are working perfectly with my computer. Either i setup my wished shader directly in the dosbox.conf or switching through live during play on the fly under "Video" / "Direct3D Pixelshader" - no problems at all.

some more questions, now referring to the sound settings, again i take Wing Commander as example:

1.) I want to enjoy Roland Sound (MT-32). If I use DOSBox Daum alone I only put the two necessary MT32-Roms into the DOSBox Daum root, change the mididevice to mt32 in the dosbox.conf
and choose in wc installer Roland sound - works!

Now I want to use Roland Sound also via DBGL. I copied the two MT32-roms into the "dosroot"-folder (and this time not also into DOSBox Daum folder). After that i launch DBGL, go to my WC-profile and choose "run settings". I choose "Roland Sound". If i now start the game i still only get Soundblaster sound. I think I have to click something more inside of DBGL to get Roland Sound? Kolano wrote above i should not change the dosbox.conf manually - only choose settings inside of DBGL because DBGL overrides the dosbox.conf inside of DOSBox Daum. So how to correct activate Roland in DBGL?

2.) In the Wing Commander settings I only can choose "Roland" - in many other games there is also the option to choose "Roland + Blaster", if the game has beside MIDI Music speech or digitized effects. How to setup DBGL in this case to get the best of both worlds?

3.) In most cases the two MT32-roms (beside soundfonts of course) are a good choice. If I take another game, "Might & Magic 3 - Isles of Terra" for example, it has a few (strange sound) problems with the MT32-roms, the better choice here is to use the two CM32L-Roms. If I copy these two roms also into the DOSROOT-folder and choose Roland Sound in the M&M-settings - how should DBGL know not to take the MT32-roms but the CM32L-roms in this case? Is there a way to choose the specific needed roms for each game?

4.) Back to the Display Options - i want to have 1280x800 (four times 320x200) windowed for many of my games, but the DBGL-Windows-Resolution-DropDown-Menu (what a word... 😀) only offers 1280x768 - is there a way to set my desired custom resolution inside of DBGL or do i have to change this in this case manually somewhere?

Once again thank you very much in advance for all your help. i learn a lot of things these days 😀

Reply 7 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remember than on old school CRT monitors, 320 x 200 was displayed using non-square pixels. Meaning the image was vertically stretched and in 4:3 aspect ratio.

320 x 200 on a LCD monitor however has a ratio of 16:10 which is a widescreen ratio.

aspect=true

Correct this and I highly recommend using it.This is what it should look like: http://youtu.be/M6T0qd-A6WU?t=2m31s

This is from a real 386 Computer.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 10, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi rotaxt,

1) Make sure you set the mididevice to mt-32 (see attachment 1)
2) SoundBlaster SB16 is automatically enabled (as it is in DOSBox), but can be disabled (if you want) by setting sbtype to 'none' (see attachment 2). Some games do not allow for using both sound standards (MT-32 + SB) at the same time, though.
3) I'm sorry, I do not know how YKHWong's build exactly behaves in this regard, maybe someone else has this knowledge
4) You can change the values in the drop-down to your liking in the Settings dialog (see attachment 4)

Filename
1.png
File size
45.96 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Filename
2.png
File size
44.89 KiB