VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rotaxt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello again!

once again i need some advices of you pros 😀 !
seeking for the perfect experience with those lovely old dos games i finished my graphical choices (and solved a couple of issues) regarding filters & scalers,
the last thing is to get proper sound now.

problem: Shan's Soundfont should be used to get proper (MIDI-)Sound in Sam & Max: Hit the Road (CD Talkie-Version)

1.) in ScummVM i can easily choose Fluidsynth, set the right path for my desired soundfont and start the game, working. but i prefer to use DOSBox Daum with DBGL, but I don't want to install all those BASSMIDI drivers etc., just load the soundfont into DOSBox when i need it, like described with scummvm. i think this should be possible because DOSBox Daum has also a built-in Fluidsynth?

Scenario 1)

I want to use 'Shan's Soundfont' for Sam & Max under pure DOSBox Daum (latest version).

a) I copied 'SGM-V2.01.sf2' into the root of DOSBox Daum.
b) in dosbox.conf i changed under 'Midi':
mididevice=synth
midiconfig=SGM-V2.01.sf2
c) i open dosbox, get to the sam & max-folder and enter 'setmuse'
the menu opens and i can see: 'no sound device'
i choose device 'general midi' / port 330

finish - but trying to leave and save the settings gives an error from DOSBOX, it says:

'Assertion failed: infile != NULL, file init.c, line 165'

i only can type exit now. of course when trying to start the game it will not work because no audio advice is active.

any ideas what's the problem here?

Scenario 2)

Soundfont & DOSBox Game Launcher (in DBGL I setup to use DOSBox Daum as my standard DOSBox-Version)

a) I copied SGM-V2.01.sf2 into the dosroot-folder (is that enough or do i have to copy it also into root of DOSBox Daum?)
b) I created a profile for Sam & Max in DOSBox Game Launcher.
c) Under Audio Tab in Game Profile I chose Midi Device = synth and wrote SGM-V2.01.sf2 into 'config'-field
d) when clicking 'run setup' i am able in this case to set 'General Midi', Port 330 as my sound device, and can save these settings without getting this error message mentioned above
(But when clicking "Test Music" inside of setmuse i can hear nothing, so even if I get no error message something must already be wrong here)
e) however, when trying to fire up the game in DBGL (window mode) the window opens but only stays black, no error message, but nothing happens anymore.

the game itself is not defect, i took the same files which are working in scummvm, and if i choose soundblaster in DBGL (and setmuse) the game works.

so do you guys have some hints for me what's going (wr)on(g) here?

how can I get a soundfont working in DBGL (DOSBox Daum)?

thank you and best regards

Reply 1 of 7, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's the cycle number?
Also, I don't know which fluidsynth patch Daum uses, but if it's the one I provided (check here Fluidsynth soundfont patch) the soundfont is specified in fluid.soundfont.

Reply 2 of 7, by rotaxt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

bloodbat to be honest i don't know/understand what you mean.

i tried for hours now to get running sam and max with DBGL - with midi sound - without success.

i installed bassmidi and loaded up a soundfont.

if i start d-fend reloaded i just choose general midi, run setmuse (setup) from sam and maxand also choose General Midi.
If i cklick "Test Music" than I can hear a sample of the working Midi Music using the Soundfont.

But it is impossible for me to get it running in DBGL.I add a profile for Sam and Max.

If I start setmuse for the game i also choose "General Midi", if i click "Test Music" than i can hear nothing and dosbox freezes.

there must be a reason why dosbox and/or DBGL can't get access to MIDI. Do you have any Idea how to configure DBGL properly
to get the game working? I am using DBGL, DOSBox Daum und Win 7.

Reply 3 of 7, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've no idea what's the problem, copying the soundfont into the dosroot folder, setting mididevice=synth and midiconfig=SGM-V2.01.sf2 seems to work just fine for me. Maybe try changing your DOSBox version-specific settings as to use 'alternative startup' as shown in the attached screenshot; this should allow for the console-window to show on startup, maybe you can find some information there as to why the audio is not playing.

Attachments

• alternative.png
    Filename
    alternative.png
    File size
    9.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 7, by rotaxt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

rc thanks for your reply but i think i have to give up. i have no clue what i am doing wrong.
i tried a last time now and installed a whole fresh new windows (!) on my system partition.

1. In root of c:\ i created folder DBGL
2. In root of DBGL i created folder DOSBox Daum and copied DOSBox Daum into it
3. Into dosroot folder i copied SGM-V2.01.sf2
4. In dosroot folder i created a folder SAMNMAX and copied the game into it
5. In DBGL i added a new profile SAMNMAX
6. In sound config i setup like on the attached screenshot
7. when running setmuse and choosing General Midi and klicking "Test Sound" nothing comes, DOSBox freezes.

8. I have the same problem when setting up pure DOSBox without DBGL. When i edit the dosbox.conf manually and choose
mididevice synth and midiconfig SGM-V2.01.sf2 it freezes the same way.

So it can't be a problem of DBGL. I tried also with BASSMIDI, setting up there the soundfont and than using with DBGL - same result.

The only working option currently is load up the sound font with BASSMIDI and then use D-Fend and choose that BASSMIDI Soundfont in D-Fend.
If i than open setmuse and choose General Midi i get this superb sound and nothing freezes.

Attachments

• 2015-01-30_010627.jpg
    Filename
    2015-01-30_010627.jpg
    File size
    113 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 7, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could be mistaken, but I think that when using the BASSMIDI driver, you will have to choose/define the midi device no. to use in the 'Config' field. Simply start DOSBox and type 'mixer /listmidi' to get a list of midi devices and their associated numeric value. Then put the number for BASSMIDI into the DBGL 'Config' field, set 'Midi device' to 'default' and retry your game.

Reply 6 of 7, by rotaxt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i solved the puzzle. it was pure coincidence while i was playing around with different cycles today for sam'n'max.

don't ask me why - but i found out that if i put 'auto' or 'max' into the cycles field i get that freeze in the sound settings
when swithing to general midi and trying to play the test sample. this happens also in pure dosbox without dbgl.

but if i write for example '10.000' or '20.000' into the cycles field everything works fine and i can play the test sample and of course
the game using a soundfont (via bassmidi).

rc are soundfonts working in your machine with cycles 'auto' ?

i don't know the influence of the cycles to the soundfont, but for my machine i can not use max or auto.

so for these games i have to find to find out now the best cycles manually. is there any page known where
for dos games i can find the best cycle values?

so once again thank you all for your help!