VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Firstly a quick overview of Nvidia's Dynamic Super Resolution. It's a technology that allows rendering games at a up to 4x the resolution and then downsample it to your monitor's native resolution. Son on a 1920 x 1080 monitor, it will render at 3840x2160, and then downscale to 1920x1080.

I explain it with some examples here: Dynamic Super Resolution Demo

Now DOSBox offers a few output modes, but I will focus on the opengl and openglnb. Openglnb gives you razor sharp pixels, but some pixels take up two pixels, whereas others take up one. So the image can sometimes look a bit off, especially when reading text with certain letters having thicker and thinner elements that are quite obvious. It sometimes appears as if some words are written with a thicker pen than others.

Opengl uses bilinear filtering, which somewhat reduces these issues, but at the expense of a softer or blurrier image.

So I thought about trying DOSBox and openglnb output with Nvidia's Dynamic Super Resolution. After enabling it in the driver, I configured DOSBox to use 3840x2160 resolution and that's all you need to do.

I captured it externally and took screenshots with the openglnb at 1920 x 1080, then at Dynamic Super Resolution with the default 33% smoothness and then with Dynamic Super Resolution with 0% smoothness.

To judge these screenshots you must display them on a 1920 x 1080 display in full screen. Windows Photo Viewer does this very well. Right click to download them onto your system, then view them.

The result is pretty good. The image is sharper than using opengl, and the text in the image is much more consistent in terms of pixel sizes in the letters. It looks pretty good!

Attachments

• 1080p opengl.png
    Filename
    1080p opengl.png
    File size
    591.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSR 0 smoothness.png
    Filename
    DSR 0 smoothness.png
    File size
    625.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSR default 33 smoothness.png
    Filename
    DSR default 33 smoothness.png
    File size
    703.53 KiB
    Views
    File license

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 13, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder how retroarch's sharp-bilinear.cg https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders/bl … arp-bilinear.cg compares to Nvidia's Dynamic Super Resolution.

If you can convert sharp-bilinear.cg to .fx and try with dosbox daum we can see how close it is.

I'd try it out myself, but now I have a 1920 x 1200 monitor.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 2 of 13, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was not aware of DSR before today, Thanks Phil!
It works very good with dosbox.
The proper settings for DSR would be output=openglnb, fullresolution=3840x2180 (DSR x4), scaler=none.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 3 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ha, you dug out my old thread 😊

Yea it didn't get much interest, but IMO this is a really nifty feature. I don't have a real 4k screen (yet). The lack of VGA ports is makes me hesitate.

Reply 4 of 13, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah that's a nifty feature for emulator lovers witch I completely missed in the last year.
Set pixel displays like LCD/OLED/Plasma (anything but CRT) have trouble with non integer resolutions, so DSR is one step closer to a pixel perfect image other that CRT or 8K monitor.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

The lack of VGA ports is makes me hesitate.

Heh, that's too funny. 🤣
We won't get anything but DisplayPort and HDMI2.0 with 4K display that's for sure.

Last edited by James-F on 2016-07-15, 10:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea I might settle for one of these "not quite 4K" screens. They come with VGA and should support 1600 x 1200. That res is a must for me 😀

I only have one screen that can do this resolution and I constantly have to move the screen from project to project 😁

Reply 6 of 13, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The perfect LCD monitor for dos would be with VGA port and vertical resolution the divides by 400 and 480 and has a non locked refresh rate.
The closest vertical resolution for that is 2400.
So a 16:10 monitor with 3840x2400 would be pixel perfect for 640x400 and 640x480 resolutions but it's not 4:3.

Last edited by James-F on 2016-07-15, 11:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At least for 320 x 200 games, 1600 x 1200 is the perfect resolution. I tried it with DOSBox, and the image is beautiful. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for hooking up a real retro PC via VGA port 😢

Reply 8 of 13, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, that's because the display will use the internal scaler all the time even with a pixel perfect signal at the input.

Actually 1600 is not ideal either because the VGA card doubles the lines of a 320x200/240 resolution to 640x400/480 at the output no matter what, in other words there is no 320 horizontal resolution with VGA output, only 640.
The horizontal 1600 resolution will not divide by 640 so you will always get non-pixel-perfect horizontal resolution in DOS either.

In reality, nothing can do pixel-perfect of both 640x480 and 640x400 at 60Hz and 70Hz besides an old CRT!
3200x2400 (4:3) LCD can, (800x600, 640x480, 640x400), but there is none.

So for now, the closest option to aspect and pixel correct picture with LCD and DOSBox is using DSR (nvidia), VSR (ati) or rendering in very high resolution then downscaling.

Last edited by James-F on 2016-07-15, 12:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, I meant to say 1600 x 1200 is perfect for DOSBox 😊

For real retro computers, I just accepted the monitor scaler and the softer output they produce.

With Windows however there are lots of options for 1024 x 768 gaming or screens that can do 1:1 like from Benq.

Reply 10 of 13, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting, but when I try DSR, DOSBox immediately terminates as soon as I try to go fullscreen. No visible errors- it's as if I closed the window. Tried both x2 and x3 native res here, same result (Win7, GTX 550 TI).

James-F wrote:

Actually 1600 is not ideal either because the VGA card doubles the lines of a 320x200/240 resolution to 640x400/480 at the output no matter what, in other words there is no 320 horizontal resolution with VGA output, only 640.

The VGA card doubles 200/240 scanlines to 400/480 respectively, to keep the signal within the ~31.5KHz spec, but I'm unaware that it does anything to the horizontal resolution... nor is there even a meaningful way to 'double' the horizontal pixel count of an analog signal. The only difference between 320x400 and 640x400 is the pixel clock rate, and once the signal leaves the DAC there's no way to tell a 320-dot scanline from a 640-dot one with doubled pixels- the two are exactly the same.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 11 of 13, by Destroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is very interesting. I'm surprised no one has posted more on this; trying different 320x200 games and such.

I plan to try this ASAP but before I forget, I wanted to note that I already experienced crashing but it was due to setting setting Dosbox output=openglnb.

I didn't think much of it at the time but if I am to enjoy the benefits of this DSR trick, I'll need to sort the crashing out.

Reply 12 of 13, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to be perfectly honest and say I cannot tell any significant difference between the three screenshots. I'm viewing them full screen on my 1920x1080 LCD screen.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 13 of 13, by Destroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I gave this a shot but no luck so far on things I've tried.

I believe the issue is because I already run a 4k monitor at native 3840x2160. If I even ask for only 2xDSR, Dosbox does not accept the fullresolution value of 7680x4320.

I'm searching for Dosbox high resolution solutions but haven't found anything yet.