Using a real MT-32 with DOSBox

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am not confusing anything.
In all three environments: dosbox, 386 and duron I don't have these: hum and "intro scales" sounds. Although he humming DO apears but LATER.

It is like this:
1. Dynamix logo - sound
2. Black screen with a line of text - complete silence (mt-32 doesn't even blink)
3. Spaceship interior - humming all the time

I suppose your P75 playes the intro/music too fast
I also suppose you don't have that humming at all in dosbox, but I have 😉

Reply 21 of 26, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have maneged to run these games without buffer overflow:

Darksun 1 -- cycles=38

Mortal Kombat 1 -- cycles=38 (this one is tricky - with 37 game crushes, with 39 buffer overflow ),
music sounds way better now
(a checksum error apears at the and but i suppose everything was loaded properly. Maybe that is cause it checks only the most recently loaded messages, and the ones loaded earlier are not calculated (cause of slow loading... but this is just a guess... )
as I said music seems to work perfectly now

Lure of the Temptress -- cycles=20

Speedball 2 -- cycles=20

Utopia -- cycles=300

Race Drivin' -- cycles=5 everything is possible 😉

Anyone has buffer overflow problem with any other game? 😁

Reply 23 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been using a real MT-32 with DOSBox and have had buffer overflows with a couple of games. One of them was Prince of Persia 1.3 and the other was one or more of Zeliard, Silpheed or Sorcerian (don't remember which). I was able to eventually lower my cycles setting enough to make my MT-32 happy.

robertmo: What core setting are you using? It might help to try different ones.

Reply 25 of 26, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HunterZ: I am using CM-32L core now, so I have no buffer overflow problems at all 😁
But seriously, I was using normal core. I guess you can try different cores, but I am not sure it will be usefull. Actually I think it is a fight with windmills. A game may reprogram sound module even during the game so you will have to watch your LCD display all the time, and save often (some games do it before every song). Just get a CM-32L or LAPC-I or CM-64 or CM-500 and play stresslessly 😀

Reply 26 of 26, by Guest

User metadata

Sorry for my bad english.
Problem : the game does not start. Sometimes it crashes dosbox, and when it does not, Doxbos's screen remains black at launch.
My configuration :
Windows XP
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
1,83GHz
1,00Go RAM
Motherboard MSI K7N2G (i use the Nvidia sound card of the motherboard)
video card : Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
Dosbox 0,63

I tried changing the number of cycles and changing sound configurations, it did not work.