VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm just wondering. If you have windows 7 running from a partition on the hard disk, can you run the same windows partition within an emulator within windows?

So:
1. My hard disk has a partition containing windows 7 or another windows version (usually the first partition).
2. I boot windows by turning my computer on.
3. I start an x86/x64 emulator, which mounts the hard disk and tries to boot windows (which is currently running).

Can this work? Has it even been tested yet? Are there problems with virtual memory? What happens when virtual memory is disabled on the system(s)?

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 1 of 4, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, this can't possibly work since 2 systems can't access the same underlying filesystem at the same time. It would corrupt itself immediately.

Some time ago I had some version of linux on a partition that I could start either native or from VMware inside Windows (installed on another partition). One day I forgot I had suspended linux inside VMware and ran it native. It did fsck (because the system was actually not shutdown properly from it's point of view) and everything would be ok if I hadn't resumed the image later and shut it down. Afterwards the system was hopelessly corrupted... (an interesting note is that I had some test version of reiserfs and after some tree restoring I could see most of the files again, but since I didn't need anything anyway, I just deleted the whole thing after a while).

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 2 of 4, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'd have two operating systems writing to the same disk blocks, so it would just corrupt everything. Since this is Dosbox forum and if you're talking about Windows 3.x, it might work since AFAIK that does not access the file system directly but through the emulated DOS.

Reply 3 of 4, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And, if you would boot windows (95) with virtual memory disabled both in the host and guest systems?

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 4 of 4, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Again, it would corrupt the file system. Keep in mind that Windows creates a lot of temporary files, the pagefile is not the only file written to disk. Also, Windows 95 requires virtual memory... most times I've disabled virtual memory in Windows, it crashes even if it has plenty RAM to play with.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!