VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dan_armstrong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all! I'm excited to join your community here. I've been a fan of DOSBox for a while and just recently decided to try my hand at designing a cross-platform front-end that caters to my desires and wishes. It is not ready to release at the moment but I figured it would be fun to reach out to the community and let interested parties be involved in the creation.

It is written entirely in HTML and JavaScript and runs using the awesome Atom-Shell by Github. Being a long-time user of CrossOver on Mac and Linux, it uses a concept of "boxes" to house each application so there is never a possibility of one application corrupting another. I used my pitiful abilities with Affinity Designer to create a handful of embedded icons for various applications and several things can be configured on a global or per-box basis. It supports loading artwork in SVG, PNG, JPEG and GIF and all of the embedded art is SVG so that everything looks good at pretty much any resolution.

You can create new boxes quickly and easily or just open a playground to mess around with. For installed applications, I'm building a quick and intuitive settings page to quickly modify the DOSBox configuration and multiple configurations can be switched on each box.

I haven't defined my roadmap yet but one of the main features I'm working on is a concept of installation recipes, much like those found in CrossOver. It will allow you to select an application/game to install and it will handle the entire setup and installation process. This alleviates the need to copy files, manually mount things, etc. when installing new software.

Oh, and best of all, it runs on Windows, Mac and Linux while maintaining a modern look and feel.

Have a look at the attached screenshot and send some feedback my way. Anything you would like to see in a DOSBox front-end? Any suggestions or advice?

Attachments

Reply 3 of 7, by dan_armstrong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have started working on the settings page and figured it would be good to provide a screenshot showing the direction I'm going with it.

Screenshot 2015-03-09 03.09.07.png
Filename
Screenshot 2015-03-09 03.09.07.png
File size
177.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also, if you are curious as to how you might be able to identify running boxes. Have a look at the Lemmings box in this screenshot.

Screenshot 2015-03-09 03.12.02.png
Filename
Screenshot 2015-03-09 03.12.02.png
File size
375.6 KiB
Views
File license

As always, I welcome feedback and suggestions.

Reply 5 of 7, by dan_armstrong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been a couple of days since I've had time to work on Dosly. I'm a freelance software engineer and I've been working on a few projects for Google recently that have been taking a lot of time and energy. The good news is that tonight I had a bit of free time and made some decent progress on Dosly.

The first change is a more intuitive way to start and stop the boxes. The control icons that appear when hovering over a box are great and all, but I felt like something more VMWare Fusion-esque was in order:

Screenshot 2015-03-14 02.42.08.png
Filename
Screenshot 2015-03-14 02.42.08.png
File size
442.63 KiB
Views
File license
Screenshot 2015-03-14 02.43.44.png
Filename
Screenshot 2015-03-14 02.43.44.png
File size
442.54 KiB
Views
File license

I also changed the background color of the running indicator to better match everything else. It should also be noted that this is an animation. (Side note, I'm thinking this should be a circle to fit in a little better)

Screenshot 2015-03-14 02.43.44(2).png
Filename
Screenshot 2015-03-14 02.43.44(2).png
File size
449.78 KiB
Views
File license

I've been putting a lot of time and effort into the settings page as well. It has a long way to go still but I've consolidated the tabs to save space and included this nice editor to handle the autoexec section of the dosbox config

Screenshot 2015-03-14 02.43.44(3).png
Filename
Screenshot 2015-03-14 02.43.44(3).png
File size
127.58 KiB
Views
File license

There are numerous changes that have happened in the backend, such as a dosbox config parser that I wrote in javascript and several other things, but I won't bore you with the details about all the code stuff.

Reply 6 of 7, by dan_armstrong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Made the running indicator a circle. Here's a look at it.

Screenshot 2015-03-14 03.00.08.png
Filename
Screenshot 2015-03-14 03.00.08.png
File size
451.16 KiB
Views
File license

Opinions?