VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bross300

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A while back I was playing around with the settings to try to get my dosbox to display the correct aspect ratio in particular on sierra point and click games. On my laptop the image was stretched out so i found a thread that had recommendations to change the ratio. I never got it to work and now it just crashes when I try to load a game. I get this error message

OPENGL: Can't open drawing surface, are you running in 16bpp or higher mode?
Exit to error : could not set fullscreen video mode 1920x1200-32. No video mode large enough for 1920x1200

How do I change this back to normal AND is there some way to make dosbox show the correct aspect ratio for this kind of games?

Reply 1 of 4, by eraH_retired

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

There should be a shortcut in your start menu to reset your DOSBox to the default settings if you run into this problem again.

Edit your dosbox-0.74.conf with the following
Under the SDL section

fullresolution=0x0
output=opengl

Under the render section

aspect=true

Reply 4 of 4, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bross300 wrote:

Thank you very much it works now. And the aspect ratio is now correct however the window is very small with lots of black space. Is there a way to increase it?

You don't mention your system specifications (which you should always do when asking for help, as the make it much easier for someone to diagnose a problem), but is your laptop a Hewlett Packard model, and/or does it contain an AMD Radeon card?

See, most desktop monitors automatically scale up the picture to full screen, whilst keeping the aspect ratio (using black bars along two of the four sides where necessary). Whereas many laptops have the option to scale it up or not scale it up (so you can choose from a 1:1 pixel display or a full screen display with borders where necessary). Some laptops have this as an option in the BIOS, others use a predefined key press (such as Fn + F8), and you can often change the scale option from the display driver's panel (go to Control Panel in Windows, or else right click on the desktop, select something like 'Display' or 'NVIDEA Control Panel' and search for something like "Scale Options').

But on some laptops (every one I know of is a Hewlett Packard, with an AMD Radeon graphics card), within the last two or three years, the ability to choose full screen mode with correct aspect ration was removed, and despite numerous complaints/please, this problem has never been fixed.

For more information, and possible fixes (didn't work for me, but you might get them working), see:

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4439.msg49906

http://steamcommunity.com/app/290460/discussi … /?insideModal=1