VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rob

User metadata

can someone please explain to a computer illiterate person (me) in plain english how to get a game to run with this? i have read the readme a bunch of times and i just cannot make any sense out of it. thanks in advance 😊

Reply 1 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good day.

I will try to keep it short. In order to use DOSBox you need to mount (=enable) as may drive as you need (as well as their type). You also need some basic MS-DOS knowlege such as getting directory contents, to know what executables are, etc...

Take for example gamex is going to be installed from floppy (commonly A: drive) to a folder (they were called sub-directories in the ms-dos days. That stupid folder "name" is just a Microsoft idea) named, you guessed it, GAMEX on drive C: (Your hard-disk). So for starters, we will need at least two operating drives, the A: floppy where we are installing from and the hard-disk (drive C:) where we are installing to. You see -> Source (floppy A:) --> Destination (hard-disk C:).

Z:\>mount a a:\ -t floppy

Z:\>mount c c:\

(These two commands will mount drives A: and C: respectively).

Z:\>A:

(a drive letter followed by a colon, actually CHANGES to that drive)

A:\>dir

(to get disk contents displayed, REMEMBER: Executables files for ms-dos could be anything with .bat, .com or .exe extension). Let's assume there is a INSTALL.BAT on our floppy.

A:\>install.bat

(This will launch the installation program. Follow its instructions and tell it you want to install your game to C:\GAMEX - Usually the sub-directory (folder) will be automatically created if it does not exist. NOTE: You can create folders with the MD command (Short for MakeDirectory).

Now the game it's installed to the specified location -> C:\GAMEX

A:\>C:

To change to drive C: - We want to run it from there. Floppy is just used from reading source data.

C:\>CD GAMEX

CD -> ChangeDirectoy, allow us to "go" to the selected directory (folder). This is where we have installed the game earlier.

C:\GAMEX\>DIR

(again). Let's assume there are a "suspicious" PLAY.EXE in there.

C:\GAMEX\>PLAY.EXE

You got it...

Reply 3 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

ok first of all thanks for taking the time to help

i have managed to get my cd drive and my hard drive "mounted" but when i put the alone in the dark cd into my computer and type dir in d:> and then type "install.exe" i get the intallation screen but its all messed up and doesnt seem to work at all, alone in the dark is one of the games its supposed to be compatible with. any ideas? thanks again

Reply 5 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Guest wrote:

ok iv managed to get it installed but now i keep getting the message "Error: CD not found No cd-rom driver"

When do you get this message? During installation, or when you start to play the game?
--
MiniMax - "I want details, details, DETAILS!"

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions