VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sverx

User metadata

Hi there again,
another question: did you support the drive A: at BIOS level? I noticed one of my favourite game ( Captain Blood ) is listed under "broken", so I tried myself. Yes, I mean, it isn't working actually, your're right, but I think it could be because of that copy protection that was in the EXE (both) file. The game checks if a certain cylinder of the disk in the A: drive is "bad" and, if it is, it reads the sectors inside and datas are stored there.
So I think maybe Blood it doesn't want to run because of that... also because the same happen when you copy the files from the floppy to a directory on the HD on my (Real) DOS machine...
Ideas?

Reply 1 of 5, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sverx wrote:

Hi there again,
another question: did you support the drive A: at BIOS level?
Ideas?

Well, I'm not familiair with the exact game but copy-protection like that often does not rely on BIOS-calls but tries to access the hardware directly. However, I don't think Captain Blood uses this trick. At least the version at http://www.oldskool.org/shrines/captainblood doesn't seem to, although I can't get it to work at all in DOSbox (it hangs at startup).

JAL

Reply 2 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

However, I don't think Captain Blood uses this trick.

Believe it or not it does, I debugged the code.

I tried to mount the captain blood directory as floppy (yes, I didn't read the readme enough 1st time...) but nothing changed.

Maybe the game itself is working and -since it is in fact a copy- it stops. Could it be something like that?

Thanks anyway 😀