VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Using DOS Box v0.61 MYM for DOS v12 returns error message "We are sorry, but you don't have enough file handles to run MYM. (You only have 14) Please edit your CONFIG.SYS and create a line that says FILES=20." This problem always occurs.

A review of postings indicates others with similar problems for various games/application but no reported solution.

Does anyone have any ideas? (I have no desire to transfer 12 years of historical data to a new program and would like to get rid of the 98SE/XP dual booting. Program works fine in 98SE but has video problems in XP including 98 compatibility mode.)

System Data:
Intel D845GEBV2; P4 2.53 GHz; 2X512 MB PC2700; XP-Pro SP1
Video=Matrox P750 64MB; Sound=Creative Extigy

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I trying to find a list of programs who have this problem
dosbox has files is 100 internally. but somehow some applications
detect it otherwise. If I have a list of programs (preferably small programs) I'll try to find how they detect the amount of files.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 7, by taiken7

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I noticed similar behavior a while ago (testing Win31 installation ..
its seems to complain about too many files being open);
so it may be insufficient space for handles.

Staurt -- Here are some alternatives you might look into - to convert
to MSMoney/Quicken follow this link:
http://web.archive.org/web/20020606111939/htt … h.com/mym2qifw/
And/or http://web.archive.org/web/20020604230431/htt … h.com/mym2qifw/
(Since its a web-archive it may not contain executables larger than 1mb).

Is it possible to post the file here as I am also interested in look at it?

Reply 6 of 7, by konsultor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The program I can't run is ACT.EXE, a DOS program, 390 KB, version 2.11. It's a text program--no sound, no graphics.

When started, ACT halts immediately and says it needs FILES=40 in the CONFIG.SYS file (which, of course, is not available). I'm very interested in continuing to use this contact manager because it has about 6000 records accumulated over more than 15 years.

I did read the HOW TO and/or README files for DOSbox. Have started it, and can access the ACT directory mounted as D: on Linspire 4.5 (Debian Linux). If I get this running, I'll report back to this forum. I'll be so happy I'll help others if I can.