VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used Daemon Tools to create a BIN/CUE of of a game called Ultimate Yahtzee.

Having done this thousands (literally) of times before, I was surprised when dosbox informed me that it was unable to mount the image, stating that it was either not a cue/iso or it contained errors.

The game contains 6 audio tracks and one data track.

I then used daemon tools to create an MDS file pair, mounted it, and then attempted to write that mounted image to a cue file. Same issue. Thinking daemon tools might be the problem I then used MagicDisc to create a cue/bin pair from the original disc and the MDS files, but in both cases I got the same error from dosbox.

I tried instead creating an ISO and I selected the data track as the only output. Dosbox was still unable to mount the resulting ISO file.

At that point I took all of the files from the disk, copied them to my drive, and used WinImage to create an ISO from them. THAT ISO actually loads, but now I no longer have my audio tracks.

I've never seen dosbox blatantly refuse to load an image like this before. Considering it gave me the same error when it was just the data tracks, that seems to suggest to me that there is something odd about the file signatures on the games disc that is causing the disc images to become unreadable. Something about copying them off the disc and then making an image out of them bypassed this error though.

Any ideas? I attempted to mount the image using both the vanilla, emucr svn, and daum svn builds. Same error with all three.

Reply 1 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You could try Alcohol 120% (or what's it called) to create the image. The unregistered shareware worked fine last time I tried.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 9, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a feeling we are talking about 2 different games. Ultimate Yahtzee was a commercial release by Hasbro.

Besides, shareware (if it did exist for this game) likely would work. The files on the disc work. It's the image of the disc that dosbox won't mount is the problem.

Other software has no problem mounting the image, but dosbox refuses to see it properly. This suggests that the problem is dosbox, not the image.

Reply 3 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does the debug version of DOSBox say anything?

What are the contents of the .cue file? Is there a file path in it? What if you add a path?

Can you mount the CD normally in DOSBox (i.e. as a CD) ?

Reply 4 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
exofreeze wrote:

I have a feeling we are talking about 2 different games. Ultimate Yahtzee was a commercial release by Hasbro.

Besides, shareware (if it did exist for this game) likely would work. The files on the disc work. It's the image of the disc that dosbox won't mount is the problem.

Other software has no problem mounting the image, but dosbox refuses to see it properly. This suggests that the problem is dosbox, not the image.

Alcohol 120% is a shareware cd copy program that creates good images. The unregistered shareware of Alcohol 120% works for images nicely - no need to register.
So you could try an image done by that additionally.

But yeah, first test the original CD to see whether that works

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 9, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I tried creating an image using alcohol 120 and dosbox still gives the error. I've even created an image, mounted it, and then used another piece of software to create an image from the mounted image 0 hoping that maybe the mounting of the image would bypass whatever issue is occuring.

Here are the contents of the cue file:
FILE "CD.BIN" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:02:00
INDEX 01 09:32:71
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 10:58:73
TRACK 04 AUDIO
INDEX 01 13:03:13
TRACK 05 AUDIO
INDEX 01 14:24:33
TRACK 06 AUDIO
INDEX 01 16:17:15
TRACK 07 AUDIO
INDEX 01 17:54:27

If I directly mount the cd-rom in dosbox, then it works fine. I can browse the cd, install the game, and hear the audio tracks. However the goal is to copy all of my installed win3x games over to my htpc (which has no optical drive) so I can play them on my TV. So simply playing the game off the CD doesn't exactly help me in that scenario.

As mentioned before, if I manually copy the data files to the hard drive from the CD, and then use winimage to create an ISO from them, then that is mountable. But I loose the cd audio by doing that, which is a bummer.

Reply 6 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

odd, everything looks fine.
The only other thing, besides checking with a debug built, is to look at the CD and the image with Isobuster to see if there is a difference. Or also another game CD with audio tracks for comparison.

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is a total shot in the dark and I have no reason to expect it to work, but just for kicks:

What if you replace

exofreeze wrote:

TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:02:00

with

TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 00 09:30:71

?

Reply 8 of 9, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No luck Jorpho, but thanks for the suggestion.

The audio tracks look fine compared to my others bin/cue combinations.

I'll look into isobuster. Thanks for the suggestion.