VOGONS

Common searches

Anyone else not able to change CPU speed in Win8?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Tiltowait

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to change CPU speed in DOSbox, but apparently my new Windows 8.1 interprets that as brightness increase? Is this all Windows 8.1 that does this? Anyone else having this problem?

Reply 1 of 3, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know about Windows 8.1 specifically but this is a common occurence with laptops or "multimedia keyboards". Do you have a "Fn" key on your keyboard that you can press as the same time as the "Ctrl+F11" or "Ctrl+F12" commands? Maybe your computer interpret the F keys as the multimedia commands by default so you need to use the Fn key to make these keys act as normal F keys again. There is usually a setting in the keyboard manager to revert F keys to their normal function.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 2 of 3, by Tiltowait

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, thanks. It was some craptacular Dell "feature" that changed the Fn keys from their normal operation to controlling the hardware instead! So in order to press F1, you had to press Fn-F1 instead! Ridiculous! An hour of dorking around with Google searches and Dell utilities, and I finally had to reboot to disable the "feature" in BIOS. Now I press Fn-Fkey to activate the hardware functions. How it should have been in the first place! Grrr.

Reply 3 of 3, by HardwareExtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I use a HP laptop with Windows 8.1. I don't have a problem with it. As you said, it is likely Dell's proprietary key setup.

Q: Why didn't Intel call the Pentium the 586?
A: Because they added 486 and 100 on the first Pentium and got 585.999983605.

Source: http://www.columbia.edu/~sss31/rainbow/pentium.jokes.html