VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Beorn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using D-Fend Reloaded to play the Krynn series. I ran into some problems importing my characters from COK to DKK, but I solved the issue by changing the save game path in the DKK.cfg file to mirror the path that was created by D-Fend Reloaded for Champions. In this case it was "C:\CHAMPI~1\SAVE\".

However, now I'm running into the same issue trying to import my characters into Dark Queen of Krynn, but a similar fix isn't working this time. D-Fend Reloaded created the following save game path for Death Knights: "C:\DEATHK~4\SAVE\". DQK automatically uses "C:\DKK\SAVE" as the save game path for Death Knights. The DQK.cfg file is located in the "Disk1" folder. When I tried to change the path within the .cfg file, the game wouldn't load anymore and said that I needed to "Please Insert Disk 1". So then I found an option within D-Fend Reloaded to Run Setup, so I did that and tried to change the save game path that way, but it said that there was an error and wouldn't let the change go through.

Finally, I used a hex editor to go into the DQK.cfg file and change the save game path as listed above, because previous attempts seemed to corrupt the file if I changed the size at all. Well I got the game to start, but it still doesn't read any files from Death Knights same as before. When I try to Add Characters it says that none are found, and when I try to load the game from DKK, it just takes me back to the main menu. I've also tried creating a DKK/SAVE folder in my C: drive, but that hasn't helped either.

I've noticed that the file types are different, and reading some other posts, it seems like SSI made some changes when they made DQK. I'm out of ideas as to what to do, and can't find anyone who's dealt with this using D-Fend Reloaded - as opposed to WizWorks or straight DOSBox. I'd really like to play with the characters that I've taken through the first two games, so hoping that someone reads this post and can help me.

Reply 1 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are trying to use D-Fend Reloaded ask in the D-Fend Reloaded thread, or at least in the DOSBox forum.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers