Curious problem with Alt-Tab

General information and assistance with DOSBox.

Curious problem with Alt-Tab

Postby RrnR » 2015-11-04 @ 01:18

I have the following problem:

I start DOSBox
    I Alt-Tab to another window
    I Alt-Tab back to DropBox window
At this point, the prompt will show a rapid succession of filenames - what is actually happening is that DosBox is imagining the TAB key is being pressed repeatedly - I have verified this by loading an editor in the DosBox. When I Alt-Tab out and then in again, the file loaded in the editor starts to fill up with tabs

This seems to happen reliably. It is doubtless some problem with the keyboard emulation, but does anyone know how to fix it? I use Alt-Tab a lot for breaking out of a DOSBox that has captured the mouse.
RrnR

Re: Curious problem with Alt-Tab

Postby Dominus » 2015-11-04 @ 07:17

*cough*dropbox?*cough* ;)

As strange as itmay sound, experiment with the different output options. This might be a problem with SDL and Windows 10 (you are on10, right?)
Dominus
DOSBox Moderator

Postby Qbix » 2015-11-04 @ 07:42

I have improved this in the current code. Try a SVN build.
It is mostly outside of our control, so it is a bandaid
Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Postby RrnR » 2015-11-04 @ 19:57

Yes, Windows 10. I tried all the output options (none, surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, ddraw) and the result was the same in all cases. The effect doesn't happen immediately all the time, sometimes you need to switch between windows a couple of times to get it to trigger, but the effect is always the same - when focus is first set to the DOSBox window, the prompt acts as if a single Tab was pressed (i.e. the first file in the folder is recalled to the command line), then as soon as the mouse is moved phantom TAB characters are produced continuously. Hitting Esc usually stops it.

wrt the current build, I don't have the ability to compile any sources - is there an installable available? (or even just an EXE?).

Thanks,
R
RrnR

Postby RrnR » 2015-11-04 @ 21:55

Many thanks, that seems to have fixed the problem (so far...)
RrnR

Postby samcormack » 2017-12-01 @ 19:48

I don't know if anybody still has this problem or cares, but using the Windows key instead of Alt+Tab (if you have one on your keyboard) should resolve this issue. :)
samcormack

Return to DOSBox General