First post, by RrnR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the following problem:

• I start DOSBox
    I Alt-Tab to another window
    I Alt-Tab back to DropBox window

At this point, the prompt will show a rapid succession of filenames - what is actually happening is that DosBox is imagining the TAB key is being pressed repeatedly - I have verified this by loading an editor in the DosBox. When I Alt-Tab out and then in again, the file loaded in the editor starts to fill up with tabs

This seems to happen reliably. It is doubtless some problem with the keyboard emulation, but does anyone know how to fix it? I use Alt-Tab a lot for breaking out of a DOSBox that has captured the mouse.

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

*cough*dropbox?*cough* 😉

As strange as itmay sound, experiment with the different output options. This might be a problem with SDL and Windows 10 (you are on10, right?)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I have improved this in the current code. Try a SVN build.
It is mostly outside of our control, so it is a bandaid

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 6, by RrnR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, Windows 10. I tried all the output options (none, surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, ddraw) and the result was the same in all cases. The effect doesn't happen immediately all the time, sometimes you need to switch between windows a couple of times to get it to trigger, but the effect is always the same - when focus is first set to the DOSBox window, the prompt acts as if a single Tab was pressed (i.e. the first file in the folder is recalled to the command line), then as soon as the mouse is moved phantom TAB characters are produced continuously. Hitting Esc usually stops it.

wrt the current build, I don't have the ability to compile any sources - is there an installable available? (or even just an EXE?).

Thanks,
R