VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox not working on Windows 10 64 bit (Build 10586)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Blitz-92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody!

I've a problem with DOSBox: I start by saying I don't know how to use it. I use it only to run a quiz program of anatomy (for university of medicine). The fact is that DOSBox won't run. When I try to start DOSBox in the folder of the quiz, it stay on the orange screen with the black/white "DOSBox" write.
When I run only the DOSBox program (version 0.74 Windows), it stay on black window screen. Sorry for my bad english, I'm italian, however I make two screenshot to show the problems:
vos6xd.jpg
How can I fix it? Thanks!

Reply 2 of 21, by Blitz-92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Download the official version of dosbox from http://www.dosbox.com and report back if the same issue occurs.

Thanks for answering! I downloaded DOSBox from the official site you have linked, unfortunately the same issue occurs, black screen after I start the exe 😢

Reply 3 of 21, by RaymanForever2007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Blitz-92 wrote:
http://i64.tinypic.com/vos6xd.jpg How can I fix it? Thanks! […]
Show full quote

vos6xd.jpg
How can I fix it? Thanks!

Where did you plac "dosbox.conf" ?
The file should be the same place as dosbox.exe and other dll exist.
And that the contents of dosbox.conf shall be;
[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=desktop
output=ddraw
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=16

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=hq3x

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=auto limit 60000
cycleup=0
cycledown=0

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=44100

[gus]
gus=true
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[bios]

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
keyboardlayout=uk

[modem]
modem=false
comport=2
listenport=23

[directserial]
directserial=false
comport=1
realport=COM1
defaultbps=1200
parity=N
bytesize=8
stopbit=1

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
cls
mount c "C:\"
C:
*********************************************************************************

Then running Dosbox.exe , you'll get a prompt in dosbox window.

ojjdwz.jpg

Reply 4 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaymanForever2007 wrote:

Where did you plac "dosbox.conf" ?

No, the default is in the %LocalAppData%\DOSBox folder. Modern Windows does not like people or apps writing in the %ProgramFiles% directory.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 21, by RaymanForever2007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:
RaymanForever2007 wrote:

Where did you place "dosbox.conf" ?

No, the default is in the %LocalAppData%\DOSBox folder. Modern Windows does not like people or apps writing in the %ProgramFiles% directory.

The point posted by Blitz-92 IS WHY " it stay on black window screen."
So I posted one clue for his question.
Why don't you give the answer to Blitz-92 instead of claiming my post ?

Dosbox.exe worked in any folder in Windows 10 64bit placed with dosbox.conf, SDL.dll and SDL_net.dll.
After he get the prompt, he can run the target program exe then he will notice what is the cause of black window, I guess the target program exe is not found.

Reply 7 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
RaymanForever2007 wrote:
The point posted by Blitz-92 IS WHY " it stay on black window screen." So I posted one clue for his question. Why don't you give […]
Show full quote
collector wrote:
RaymanForever2007 wrote:

Where did you place "dosbox.conf" ?

The point posted by Blitz-92 IS WHY " it stay on black window screen."
So I posted one clue for his question.
Why don't you give the answer to Blitz-92 instead of claiming my post?

Because misleading posts don't help. The default location of Dosbox in Program Files DOES NOT allow user changeable files like Dosbox.conf. And that is not the problem here anyway...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 21, by RaymanForever2007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Because misleading posts don't help. The default location of Dosbox in Program Files DOES NOT allow user changeable files like Dosbox.conf. And that is not the problem here anyway...

First I am not in the position blaming you, but signing in Windows 10 64 bit as ADMIN dosbox.conf in \Program Files\ CAN BE OVERWRITTEN BY EDITED ONE if you edited it and saved in D: once temporarily for example like me.
Did you try it editing it in Program Files folder and save to D: once , then overwriting to \Program Files from D: ?
UAC asks when you try but answering "YES" you can overwrite it by new one.

My trial is to copy dosbox related files DOSBox.exe, SDL.dll and SDL_net.dll into \Program Files\Game, and now make dosbox.conf saving to D: and copying to \Program Files\Game.
If you can not, oh GOD!!

BTW what is the real cause for Blitz-92 do you think ?

collector thinks that Dosbox.exe should be placed %LocalAppData%\DOSBox folder, but it is not. I wonder why he tried it in another case like me, of cause with ADMIN account.

Last edited by RaymanForever2007 on 2016-05-03, 10:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, you can make Lions jump through flaming hoops. But it is not the default and not how you should do it on newer Windows systems. So, again, please don't tell people to do things that are just adding another layer of problems (and makes it harder to help with problems since suddenly Dosbox doesn't use the config it is supposed to use).

And again: IT DOES NOT HELP WITH THE PROBLEM AT HAND.
If you want to discuss your many different ways to break UAC, please open a new thread for this.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 21, by RaymanForever2007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Yes, you can make Lions jump through flaming hoops. But it is not the default and not how you should do it on newer Windows systems. So, again, please don't tell people to do things that are just adding another layer of problems (and makes it harder to help with problems since suddenly Dosbox doesn't use the config it is supposed to use).

And again: IT DOES NOT HELP WITH THE PROBLEM AT HAND.
If you want to discuss your many different ways to break UAC, please open a new thread for this.

OK MAY I ASK YOU WHAT IS THE REAL CAUSE OF Blitz-92' CASE ? HE POSTED ALMOST 5 MONTHS AGO.

Reply 11 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Probably the real cause of the problem is

b_rros wrote:

Do you have any joystick connected to the computer? If you do try to disconnect it and start DOSBox again.
I get that black screen if I start DOSBox with my xbox one controller connected.

and/or a graphics driver problem. Definitely NOT a problem of where the config file resides.

collector thinks that Dosbox.exe should be placed %LocalAppData%\DOSBox folder, but it is not. I wonder why he tried it in another case like me, of cause with ADMIN account.

No, collector does NOT think that. From what he quotes and writes it is clear that he means the config file.

Reply 12 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaymanForever2007 wrote:

As Dominus points out, that is not what I posted. DOSBox simply follows the modern best practices, which means placing configuration files in the user space, not in system directories. Any modern .NET app by default does this automatically. In fact, installing legacy games under the %ProgramFile% directory can cause the game to fail because the game itself does not have write permissions. Running as admin is not an acceptable solution to recommend because of elevated privileges can compromise the user's system security. Abandonware may not be supported here, but that will not stop people from using it. And these illicit downloads can contain malware.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 13 of 21, by RaymanForever2007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK OK I tried to figure out why Blitz-92 posted picture shown c:\Users\fabri\AppData\Local\DOSBox\dosbox-0.74.conf.
I got the same result as follows;

2zfsf3t.jpg

Making a new user, say User1 not "ADMIN" account but normal one, I ran dosbox.exe in D:\Dosboxtest without making dosbox.conf in the folder, then BosBox made dosbox-0.74.conf file automatically in c:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\DOSBox\.

Now one point is clear; Blitz-92 did not make his own dosbox.conf file in the same folder dosbox.exe resides.
So dosbox.exe made its own conf file "dosbox-0.74.conf" in user folder.

His black screen issue is surely caused by its section [autoexec]. If [autoexec] is empty, he should have get the same screen as I posted.
My recommendation to Blitz-92 is re-check [autoexec] section in dosbox-0.74.conf or make [autoexec] section empty to see what happens. If he get the same result as mine with empty [autoexec] section, it proves that DosBox itself works correctly and his problem RESIDES in how he write the section to run his favourite game.

As for "Language code IT for layout it" I can not help as far as not knowing how he wrire dosbox-0.74.conf.

Reply 16 of 21, by RaymanForever2007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rorax wrote:

Sorry for raising this thread from the dead, but I have the same issue and did not manage to overcome it even after playing with the dosbox.conf file location, any other ideas?

I already posted Dosbox.conf file's contents --RaymanForever2007 » 2016-4-25 @ 03:32 ---- only for DosBox testing.
Only lauching Dosbox.exe not trying all your game programme included in, you can see whether DoxBox.exe really works or not in Windows 10. Launching your game by DosBox is another thing.
Why not make dosbox.conf file and save it into the folder where Dosbox.exe is installed ?

Reply 17 of 21, by rorax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RaymanForever2007 wrote:
I already posted Dosbox.conf file's contents --RaymanForever2007 » 2016-4-25 @ 03:32 ---- only for DosBox testing. Only lauching […]
Show full quote
rorax wrote:

Sorry for raising this thread from the dead, but I have the same issue and did not manage to overcome it even after playing with the dosbox.conf file location, any other ideas?

I already posted Dosbox.conf file's contents --RaymanForever2007 » 2016-4-25 @ 03:32 ---- only for DosBox testing.
Only lauching Dosbox.exe not trying all your game programme included in, you can see whether DoxBox.exe really works or not in Windows 10. Launching your game by DosBox is another thing.
Why not make dosbox.conf file and save it into the folder where Dosbox.exe is installed ?

Just for clarification, maybe I miss something here...

dosbox.conf is different from dosbox-074.conf?

Reply 18 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaymanForever2007 wrote:

Stop telling people to do things that are counter to modern best practices. I am not sure why you are so obsessed with this nonsense. DOSBox looks in the %LocalAppData%\DOSBox folder for the conf if it is not specified with the -conf switch. On modern Windows most people do not have write permissions in system folders and you should not be telling people to run everything from an admin account with UAC turned off. Very irresponsible. And especially when it has nothing to do with the issue.

Reply 19 of 21, by rorax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:
RaymanForever2007 wrote:

Stop telling people to do things that are counter to modern best practices. I am not sure why you are so obsessed with this nonsense. DOSBox looks in the %LocalAppData%\DOSBox folder for the conf if it is not specified with the -conf switch. On modern Windows most people do not have write permissions in system folders and you should not be telling people to run everything from an admin account with UAC turned off. Very irresponsible. And especially when it has nothing to do with the issue.

I have full admins permission on my machine, how can I fixed the talked about issue?