VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a CT2950 which is a SB16 Value PnP without the Yamaha OPL chip on board in my Pentium 200 mmx Dos PC, and it sound somehow different than dosbox.
I also am about to receive a Yamaha YMF719E soon to go along with the SB16.
I've read that the 719 has an original OPL3, MIDI, SBPRO 2.0 and it's one of the most compatible sound cards for dos games.
I can record the cards in my Studio if anyone interested as the Pentium PC is right next to my i7 3770k main PC.

Anyway, how dosbox emulates its OPL chip, and from what version of card?

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 1 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By default DOSBox's opl emulator is the fast thing Harekiet knocked out from bitshiftery black magic. Try oplemu=compat, it should compare a little better. Also, set your rates to 49716 so the OPL3 emulator has the appropriate frequencies to work with (really matters for all the percussion).

As for accuracy, my ears are getting old so I can't hardly tell the difference between oplemu=compat and the real deal anymore 🙁

*cough*ESFM and CQM FM emulation haven't been investigated yet afaik*cough*

If there's any 'progress' on OPL3 that could possibly be done, it'd probably be integrating that new Nuked OPL emulator into Dosbox somehow (with proper license clearances and etc). That's the most modern recent accuracy-focused development in the opl emulator realm as far as I know.

Last edited by leileilol on 2015-12-05, 14:47. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 26, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, I professionally recorded DOSBOX vs my real CT2950 for us to compare.

The "OPL3 Comparison.7z" file (11MB) contains 6 mp3 files at 320kbps from 3 games:
Doom-CT2950.mp3
Doom-DOSBOX.mp3
War2-CT2950.mp3
War2-DOSBOX.mp3
Lemmings-CT2950.mp3
Lemmings-DOSBOX.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6uv69edrlp6 … 3_Comparison.7z

Dosbox was set to oplemu=compat and rate=49716 everywhere.
Recorded into my Focusrite Saffire Firewire Audio Interface in 48khz 24bit, Normalized and mixed to match volume, Lame 3.99 on Insane quality (320kbps) to create mp3.

Currently I have no idea which one is more "real" dosbox or non-existent-OPL-chip-CT2950...
Next week my Yamaha YMF719E should arrive and I'll add it to the comparison.

Reply 3 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh the CQM chip is very easy to tell apart. It's far more buzzier and bassier, and can get its polyphony wrecked in certain games completely butchering some songs. Try Doom E2M2. 😀

DOSBox OPL completely stomps on that chip.

EDIT: here's an ogg of a CS4232 (laptop WSS Crystal Semi chipset) playing Doom E1M1 through its true OPL3. It's a little noisy and lowpassy (obviously not studio equipment), and DOSBox resembles closer to this recording than the CQMs. The card you ordered should sound like this but much cleaner/clearer with better highs.

Attachments

• Filename
    doom-d_e1m1-cs4232.ogg
    File size
    2.49 MiB
    Downloads
    149 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 26, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the CS4232 sounds better than dosbox (but similar) and definitely better than my CT2950, or at least closer to what I remember it was in the 90s.
Okay, waiting for my Yamaha YMF719E.

For the sake of it (no wonder it was cheap), here's my CT2950 (what not to buy):
* Huge closeup of the CT2950 so the chip names are readable (and not a single Yamaha).
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/4d90/pocbx9fdadasjf8zg.jpg

All in all, the CT2950 with the integrated CQM instead the original Yamaha YMF262 (OPL3), sounds not bad at all, but a little different to the original.
That's not to say that the game will sound completely different, it will not, it will sound like your game but slightly different (I'd say 90%+ there).
Anyway, much better than the PCI128 I used before the CT2950, which uses god knows what for the OPL emulation and sound like a completely different game.

BTW, the original question is still open, where the OPL of dosbox came from? Based on what?

Last edited by James-F on 2015-12-05, 16:36. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 7 of 26, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tertz wrote:
Have tested Legend of Kyrandia v1.3 FM emulation with "Pool of Sorrow" song on the screen with a lake (7:30). Yes, there is an i […]
Show full quote

Have tested Legend of Kyrandia v1.3
FM emulation with "Pool of Sorrow" song on the screen with a lake (7:30).
Yes, there is an issue, not critical though. The song plays differently with next cycles. If in game's options to switch off music and then switch on - the song plays correctly again in the beginning.
Would be good if Kyragem88 name other games he've found with similar FM issues. Maybe developers will look and fix it.

Yes, the music "drifts" and gets out of sync in some old Real Mode games (a pure guess).
In my audio comparison, Lemmings-DOSBOX is actually shorter than the original CT2950 by 2 seconds, even though they are perfectly time aligned in the beginning.

One thing is for sure, Dosbox is not cycle accurate nor it meant to be, so we can't rely on that for critical medical Life Supporting Systems... 😀

Reply 8 of 26, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:

Yes, the music "drifts" and gets out of sync in some old Real Mode games (a pure guess).
In my audio comparison, Lemmings-DOSBOX is actually shorter than the original CT2950 by 2 seconds, even though they are perfectly time aligned in the beginning.
One thing is for sure, Dosbox is not cycle accurate nor it meant to be

I think break of FM sync (wich then distorts a music) is the bug that can and should be fixed in DOSBox. It's not about abstract cycles - it's about distortion of music in games.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 9 of 26, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To whom that still interested;
The Yamaha YMF719 is here and I've already recorded it to have a clear comparison.
Guess what?, Dosbox is 100% accurate to the point that I can't distinguish between the real OPL3-SAx and dosbox on professional studio monitors with ribbon tweeters.

The waveform of dosbox on the distorted guitars is more similar to the OPL3-SAx (YMF719) than to the to the CQM (CT2950), although not similar.
The distorted guitar waveform is a top-half triangle waveform, which dosbox creates to perfection but the real sound cards skew to some degree.
If I would have to guess, I would say that Dosbox emulated the behavior of the OPL3 chip without the peripheral hardware that may affect it's sound.

Anyway, hope it helps other people for future reference.

Cheers! 😀

Attachments

• Doom-Waveforms 2.jpg
    Filename
    Doom-Waveforms 2.jpg
    File size
    906.26 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Zoomed In
    File license
  • Doom-Waveforms.jpg
    Filename
    Doom-Waveforms.jpg
    File size
    703.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    Doom-CT2950.mp3
    File size
    2.01 MiB
    Downloads
    176 downloads
    File comment
    SB16 PnP Vibra with CQM (emulated OPL3).
    File license
  • Filename
    Doom-DOSBOX.mp3
    File size
    2.01 MiB
    Downloads
    154 downloads
    File comment
    Dosbox emulation.
    File license
  • Filename
    Doom-YMF719.mp3
    File size
    2.01 MiB
    Downloads
    175 downloads
    File comment
    Yamaha YMF719 with real OPL3-SAx.
    File license
Last edited by James-F on 2015-12-12, 05:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11 of 26, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks khokh2001,
I mastered and posted your file again to be equal to my recordings.

To me it sounds exactly like the YMF719 and Dosbox.
The waveform is even closer to dosbox, without the minor DC offset that the YMF719 shows.

Attachments

• Filename
    Doom-khokh2001.mp3
    File size
    2.01 MiB
    Downloads
    109 downloads
    File comment
    Digitally recorded OPL3
    File license

Reply 12 of 26, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Oh the CQM chip is very easy to tell apart. It's far more buzzier and bassier, and can get its polyphony wrecked in certain games completely butchering some songs. Try Doom E2M2. 😀

I just tried E2M2, and it does sound quite unsatisfactory with the AWE64, when played as OPL3. DOSBox sounds better. Of course, in the case of DOOM it will sound even better on AWE64 when played as AWE. 🤣

There is a lot of talk about CQM's inadequacy, and I wish there were more comparison recordings showing this inadequacy. There is the "Grand OPL comparison" thread, of course, but somehow the selection of songs there does not seem convincing. When comparing the different OPL implementation with those songs, the differences sound quite minimal, and would often be a matter of taste more than anything else.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 13 of 26, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're looking to test the accuracy of the DOSBox emulator, try playing Commander Keen 6. Warp (press W+F10) to level 6, and listen to the music. There's a bit of percussion at the start, but when some notes start, the DOSBox synth plays them an octave or so too low compared to real hardware (at least the original OPL2.)

Here is a recording made with an Adlib Digisnap in case you don't have a real card handy.

If you don't have a copy of Keen 6, here's the song in IMF format you can play with the DOS program AdPlay (part of AdPlug.)

Reply 14 of 26, by DjLc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for these recordings !

Is there anywhre a list with games wich use TRUE OPL3 features and not just "opl2 in stereo" or/and at least the games wich use the opl3's stereo ? I know there was a thread about this on the MIA QuestStudios 's forum.

Thanks.

Reply 17 of 26, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It has just been pointed out to me (thanks NY00123!) that if you set the OPL sample rate in dosbox.conf to 49716 then the Commander Keen song I mentioned above sounds exactly the same as the Adlib digisnap recording! I had the OPL set to 48000 to match my output sample rate but this actually seems to affect the pitch of some notes.

I had no idea this made a difference. Do the other games (e.g. Cybersphere) sound any different with a different OPL sampling rate?

I wonder why this happens? Perhaps the timers are based on the sample rate?

Reply 19 of 26, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malvineous wrote:

if you set the OPL sample rate in dosbox.conf to 49716 then the Commander Keen song I mentioned above sounds exactly the same as the Adlib

Yes, this removes some wrong percussions's pitch in OPL emulation.
And adds another problem, - the resampling made by the emulator or by a card adds noisy distortion, as there is no native 49716 Hz mode and quality of resampling is mediocre in DB and on many cards/onboard chips.

Last edited by Tertz on 2016-05-01, 19:19. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide