VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MVR007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I was wondering if someone could somehow help me with keyboard/layout issues. I'm trying to mount my games directory after installation which requires the use of a back slash in C:\. I'm not sure if it was user error or what but after changing no settings when typing a backslash it types a "]" instead. I attempted to use the keyb function entering this " keyb us103 437 " which seemed to set the layout to US but still had no effect. This is what lead me to think it was just my error and I was hoping you someone knew something more. I have a feeling this is going to be some easy fix so thanks in advance to whomever puts up with my noob like question.

Reply 1 of 8, by DrJones

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First, make sure that your backslash key works normally in your OS. Open a notepad or equivalent and see if you can type that character normally.
If so, go to DOXbox and press ctrl+f1 to open the mapper and click on the backslash key displayed in. See if it's mapped to the right key.

Reply 2 of 8, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DrJones wrote:

First, make sure that your backslash key works normally in your OS...

...and just add the mount command in DOSBox's autoexec section so you don't even have to type it in DOSBox.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 3 of 8, by NatalieEGH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having the same problem. I believe the problem is, at least in my case, that I am using a Windows keyboard. It has 104 keys not 103.
My keyboard layout is (all alphabetic keys work upper and lower case):
Esc, f1, f2, f3, f4, f5, f6, f7, f8, f9, f10, f11, f12, Prt Scr/Sys Req, Scroll lock/not sure looks like a down arrow in a square box, Pause/Break
~/` (not working), 1/!, 2/@, 3/#, 4/$, 5/%, 6/^, 8/*, 9/(, 0/), "-/_", "+/=" (not working), back erase key
Tab/tab back, q, w, e, r, t, y, u, i, o, p, "[/{" (Not working), "]/}" (acting like "[/{" key), "|/\" (acting like "]/}" key)
Cap lock, a, s, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, ";/:", ""/'" (not working), enter key
Shift key, z,x,c,v,b,n,m,",/<", "./>", "//?", shift
ctrl, windows, alt, space bar, alt, fn, not sure looks like arrow pointing to sheet of paper, ctrl

then I have 6 keys in 3x2 matrix
Ins, Home, Page Up
Del, End, Page Down

Then 4 arrow keys
up
left, down, right

Then the number pad
Num Lock, /, *, -
7/Home, 8/up, 9/Page Up, +
4/left, 5, 6/Left
1/End, 2/down, 3/page down, Enter
O/ins, ./del

As indicated, I can detect 3 keys that are not working at all. The key with ~/`, [/{, and "/'. Keys }/] and \?| have [/{ and ]/} instead.

I admit I have not verified all the keys (Esc and Prt Scr/Sys Req, Scroll lock/whatever, Pause/Break, number pad, Ins, Del, Home, End, Page up, Page down, windows, Fn, or Alts). So there may be more keys having a problem.

I have not yet determined a work around. I cannot map the \, ", or ' keys as I cannot type a backslash. double quote, or single quote. I would gladly replace my brackets and braces with those keys.

Unfortunately I need the keys for entering in a paths in programs I am running.

Reply 4 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This all looks like a case of the software keyboard layout (in the OS) not matching the physical keyboard layout.

~/` (not working), 1/!, 2/@, 3/#, 4/$, 5/%, 6/^, 8/*, 9/(, 0/), "-/_", "+/=" (not working), back erase key
Tab/tab back, q, w, e, r, t, y, u, i, o, p, "[/{" (Not working), "]/}" (acting like "[/{" key), "|/\" (acting like "]/}" key)
Cap lock, a, s, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, ";/:", ""/'" (not working), enter key

This looks a little bit like the Japanese Hiragana layout.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 8, by teckkev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the exact same issue.. my physical keyboard is a wireless HP keyboard that came with my HP all-in-one touchscreen PC.

Keyboard is US

I figured I would reply to this thread rather than create a new one since my problem is the same.

Thanks

Reply 8 of 8, by TobinDG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I upgraded to windows 10 and reinstalled the latest DOSBox to find the keyboard works perfectly. If you're still trying the keyboard with an earlier OS, follow up below...

Hi,

I found your thread because I needed to enter a double quotation mark in Turbo C++ 3.0 and perhaps other technical programs. I tried: keyb us103 437 i don't know if that did anything however i found that if in key mapper i click on ' which is just left of \
then click on add. then type ' again. click save. close. then i type shift-' and it enters "

in other words: map the ' key as itself, save, exit. and then just type shift before ' to enter a double quotation mark!

Thanks out to the replier in DosBox development in the 'Double Quotation marks' thread

for your other keys that don't work, try mapping them as themselves possibly. then type them or type them after pressing shift.

if you don't know which key holds the character you need, try every non a-z by mapping it as itself or as a key you remember and then press shift before typing it as it could be a key that is toggled as capital, like "

first be sure to try mapping (typing a key after add) without holding the shift key

I have to add, now, with more experience, when I was trying to type a tilda ~ that it was possible only after pasting it into the console. I.e. I used notebook to make a text file with a tilda ~ in it and then opened it in Dosbox, copied and pasted it, and then i was able to type it. That is, of course, after mapping it as itself. Note: i did this in Turbo C++ with a file extension of .cpp

I also found if you set usescancodes=false, pressing a key will spill out all it's variants at once