VOGONS

Common searches

[solved] How I get an actual build for Mac OS X?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Lebostein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The latest official build for Mac OS X is the version 0.74-1 from 2012:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/files/ … 1_Universal.dmg

But I see in the bug section, many bugs are fixed in the last 3 years (some bugs concern me too).
Is there a way to download an actual Mac OS X build?

No words about Mac OS X here: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds (exception: "obsolete")

Thanks!

Last edited by Lebostein on 2016-01-26, 10:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 51, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please read more closely... My built is listed right there as the second one in the list... (It shows 10.7 but that's due to the date the Wiki entry was made).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 51, by Lebostein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, Sorry! I have scanned the site for "Mac"...

Thanks!

PS: Why since 4 years no official build is available? What is the problem with the development of DOSBox? Is there no official development team? It seems there are some alonesome developers only with no permission to make changes "official"...

Reply 3 of 51, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's complicated 😀
Not all developers are active anymore and the remaining ones are dishearted by people making profits of Dosbox. Even though it's legal, it's disappointing...

And official release is even much older than four years. The 0.74-1 release was OS X only, to make the official release run on newer OS X versions.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 51, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There are a lot more reasons than just being dishearted, but those are different and personal for the devs involved. Another point is that 0.74 is in general still holding up real good.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 51, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Can you do this:
Un Finder right click on the dosbox app and chhose open package or similar and then go to the folder of the bundle content/macos. There you should have the dosbox binary. Doubleclick on that.
Terminal should open (and dosbox should start and crash). Copy/paste what is written in terminal, please.

Reply 8 of 51, by Lebostein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lebostein$ /Applications/DOSBoxSVN.app/Contents/MacOS/DOSBox ; exit;
DOSBox version SVN
Copyright 2002-2015 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /Users/Lebostein/Library/Preferences/DOSBox SVN Preferences
Segmentation fault: 11
logout

Reply 9 of 51, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hrmpf ;(
That was less helpful than I hoped for. But not your fault, thanks for doing this!

Reply 10 of 51, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try downloading the snapshot again. I compiled again against the 10.10 SDK and that build worked in my Virtual Machine of OS X 10.9 (all my builds since middle of October were broken 🙁

Thanks for reporting 😀

Reply 11 of 51, by Lebostein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! It works now.

But the old Mac OS High-Color bug "green tint" still exist....
GTA colours display incorrectly in fullscreen
Die Fugger 2: vesa / memory?

What is the problem with 32768 Colors and Mac Os?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13472834/ … /Fugger_256.png (256 colors, Mac OS)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13472834/ … ugger_32768.png (32768 colors, Mac OS)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13472834/ … _32768_wine.png (32768 colors, DOSBox-win via Wine on Mac OS)

Last edited by Lebostein on 2016-01-26, 16:14. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 12 of 51, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, it never got fixed. Somewhere is an explanation...

Reply 14 of 51, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

if you find the patch and thread about it, I can give it another try... 😀

Reply 16 of 51, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So, in a nutshell, the problem Dosbox has in fullscreen is caused by the SDL backend and the SDL developers don't want to change anything.
The problem in windowed mode is a bug in Dosbox.

-> probably the reason I never followed up on it. But I may try how my other SDL 1.x apps work with the patch for SDL and if those work fine I just might offer a modified SDL...

Thanks ripsaw for finding it again!

Reply 18 of 51, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Read again, it has not been fixed. It's a bug in the backend and an unfixed bug in Dosbox windowed mode.
A patch, especially a hacky one is not necessarily a fix 😉