VOGONS

Common searches

[solved] How I get an actual build for Mac OS X?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 51, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The script downloads the current SVN version. I'm not at a Mac machine right now, but please do this:

Create a folder in your home folder named Development (if you don't have one already). Then create a folder in ~/Development named: dosbox (lower-case, no capitals). Then run the script.

I've only tested it under 10.11 and 10.12, so I don't know whether it works under earlier versions.

Reply 41 of 51, by nahum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
emendelson wrote:

The script downloads the current SVN version. I'm not at a Mac machine right now, but please do this:

Create a folder in your home folder named Development (if you don't have one already). Then create a folder in ~/Development named: dosbox (lower-case, no capitals). Then run the script.

I've only tested it under 10.11 and 10.12, so I don't know whether it works under earlier versions.

emendelson,
Added 'Development' & 'dosbox' directories as you suggested. Running script from Desktop resulted in same errors trapped, as before.
Maverick has been 'Old-Faithful' and I can't see why errors surface 😕
nahum

Reply 42 of 51, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't imagine what's wrong with your system. I have a 10.9.5 system running under VMware Fusion; it's a clean system with nothing in it but the standard updates. I downloaded and installed Xcode 6.2 and the command-line utilities for Xcode. The batch file runs perfectly - although the web site that I open for downloading Mercurial seems to be dead, so I downloaded Mercurial 3.01 from

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Mercurial/3.0.1

and then opened a terminal and ran "sudo make install" in the folder with the extracted download.

After that, the script ran perfectly normally. You have to answer Yes to all the questions the first time around. Right now, the script is installing SDL 1.2; this is taking a while because VMware machines are very slow, but I don't get any error messages.

I can't imagine why it doesn't work on your system. I assume you have an administrative account. I'm running the script from the Desktop, so that's not a problem. Perhaps you changed something in the system but have forgotten it?

Reply 43 of 51, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And here's the result - DOSBox built using my script, running on the desktop in 10.9.5. The only thing I had to do outside the script, as I said in the previous message, was install Mercurial. See the screenshot attached.

Mavericks.png
Filename
Mavericks.png
File size
138.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

P.S. I was able to build the dynamic-linked version shown above. The static-linked version doesn't get built, apparently because something went wrong in installing zlib, but the dynamic-linked version works perfectly. I don't know why zlib is causing a problem under 10.9.5.

Reply 44 of 51, by nahum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
emendelson wrote:

I assume you have an administrative account.

emendelson,
Q: What do you mean when you say "I assume you have an administrative account"?
I have never messed w/root on this machine:

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp690?locale=en_US

Notebook vs. Desktop might even enter into the equation.
nahum

Reply 45 of 51, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, desktop vs notebook does not come into play.

Emendelson: can you modify your script so it has an echo line before each command so it says when it fails? Though on first look it seems that with nahum's machine something fundamental is broken

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 46 of 51, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dominus, I can eventually add those echo lines, but not for a while. And I don't think any specific command is failing. See the sentence below on line endings.

Nahum: Are you actually running my script? Your messages say that you're running a script with a different name. Possibly you renamed my script, but could you try running it without renaming it and post the output here?

Also, you reported this error:

/bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

According to a number of people posting on other forums, it seems that the ^M suggests that you may have opened the script in Windows and saved it in Windows, with the result that the file has the wrong line endings for OS X. Could you download it again directly to your OS X machine?

Also, you have an administrative account if, in System Preferences, Users & Groups, your account is listed with "Admin" under the account name. It has nothing to do with root.

Reply 47 of 51, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And I've now updated the script to use the current version of zlib, which fixes the problem I reported above building a static-linked version. The script works perfectly in OS X 10.9 Mavericks. (I've also updated the download page for Mercurial/hg, so that the script takes you to the download page that you need.)

EDIT: And as an experiment, I saved a copy the script with Windows line endings (CRLF), ran it from the terminal, and it produced exactly the error that you reported. I think that's the answer: don't save the script in a Windows text editor; just download the script from Github and run it.

Reply 49 of 51, by nahum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
emendelson wrote:

And I've now updated the script to use the current version of zlib, which fixes the problem I reported above building a static-linked version. The script works perfectly in OS X 10.9 Mavericks. (I've also updated the download page for Mercurial/hg, so that the script takes you to the download page that you need.)

EDIT: And as an experiment, I saved a copy the script with Windows line endings (CRLF), ran it from the terminal, and it produced exactly the error that you reported. I think that's the answer: don't save the script in a Windows text editor; just download the script from Github and run it.

emendelson,
This was my first compile attempt on a mac AND your script now functions OK, thanks!

Q: Can 'ne2000 ethernet pass through' be patched into the latest SVN build for Mac OS X?
As you can see, there have been builds on Mac but do NOT work:

NE2000 Ethernet Patch
Contents
Overview
Configuring the device
Installation under Windows 95
Use with Novell's ODI drivers
Usage with Arachne DOS Webbrowser
Windows 3.1 Note
Changelog
Overview
The patch adds a Network card (old-style NE2000 model) to DOSBox's hardware. Since this card was quite popular at it's time it is supported by many operating systems. It uses the Pcap library to gain access to the host's ethernet connection. The code is originally taken from Bochs, was modified to work with DOSBox by a DOSBox developer for an old DOSBox version, and got a few bugs fixed.
Requirements:
The Pcap Library
Windows or Linux as host operating system (Builds on Mac but doesn't work)
Use:
Adding Network functionality (file transfer, network printer access, Internet) to guest programs and operating systems
Playing network games between new computers with DOSBox and old DOS PCs
Configuring the ethernet device through dosbox.conf
The patch adds the following parameters to the dosbox.conf:
ne2000
true enables the virtual network card, false completely disables it.
nicbase
The base address of the virtual network card. Normally there is no need to change this but it is good to know for driver installation.
nicirq
Interrupt of the network card. 3 is a default value expected by many drivers, however if you attempt to use the serial port COM2 simultaneously you need to change it.
macaddr
The physical node address of the card. This is used to identify the computer on the network on the lowest level and has to be unique for every instance of DOSBox running on the same LAN. AC:DE:48 is a special reserved address range not used by commercial network cards. If you run only one Instance of the virtual network card there is no need to change this. Otherwise change the 88:99:AB part.
realnic
This parameter chooses which of your host's NICs the virtual network card is bound to. It can either be identified by number or by a part of it's name (i.e. VIA).
The first time you run DOSBox with this patch, set the 'realnic' value to 'list'. The list of interfaces will appear in the DOSBox Status Window:
Make your choice and set the realnic parameter accordingly:
nahum

Reply 51 of 51, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

*AGAIN* I have used these before and you can make them work BUT you will need to start Dosbox with sudo AND you will need to use a disk image that you boot from in DOSBox.
PLEASE do that first before you make assumptions that the builds don't work.
From now on I'll throw all your hijacking posts of other threads into your original thread again
OS X build BUG report - NE2000 suport

Topic closed.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper