VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Paindemonium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey there. Last time I was use dosbox for very old science Polish program for creating grain size profiles (geomorfology). This old dos program, was working only on windows XP, no chance for new system. Until I use doxbox, everything changed. Thanks for making this project for people who want play old games, but also for scientists! 😀. We after that still got problem with one option to use in this program. There is EXE, probobly made later for this program. By klicking on that exe, automatical saved profile as .BIT fire is converted to BMP graphic in same profile. Problem is that when we try use this exe with dosbox, nothing is work. Dosbox is open but this exe wont made any work with convertion. Its looks like this: We entering GRANULOM program by Dosbox, and everything works fine. When we finish work, we klick B button and write name of the file and enter. We out from the program and we got in folder new file with same name as BIT. Then we serching in this folder for exe file named Lasttobmp.exe. We klick on it, this exe is not opening any window or something, just after that duble klick, we gain in folder new file, this time graphic bmp. Maybe you will have any idea how to make t work with dos box, becouse in new windows, this exe is not working after all.Maybe you know how to easly open BIT file at all? Or if this will need, ill send to you this program or this exe file, if someone will want help us with this file.Afterall Dosbox done something what we need, becouse before we was only can use this GRANULOM program on old PC. Now we can work on it everywhere, but still we cant export graphic files from it.

Reply 1 of 12, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox has no full DOS functions. You may try PCem, Virtual PC, Qemu, Bochs, etc. Install there freedos or win98 and run your apps. Also you may experiment with other DOSBox builds like ykhwong's or vDos.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 2 of 12, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Problem is that when we try use this exe with dosbox, nothing is work.

From what I understand, you did NOT try to run this exe within dosbox, you "clicked" it. One does not "click programs" to run them in DOSBox. This strongly suggests you're running lasttobmp.exe from Windows. Is this true?

If it is a DOS program, you'd need to run it from DOSBox, the same way you run GRANULOM.

Reply 3 of 12, by Paindemonium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Azarien wrote:

Problem is that when we try use this exe with dosbox, nothing is work.

From what I understand, you did NOT try to run this exe within dosbox, you "clicked" it. One does not "click programs" to run them in DOSBox. This strongly suggests you're running lasttobmp.exe from Windows. Is this true?

If it is a DOS program, you'd need to run it from DOSBox, the same way you run GRANULOM.

No, No no... We move this exe to dosbox.exe and then dosbox is work, but not that aplication. All GRANULOM program works fine, but only this part of program not working. I think this exe was made later, when they need to export graphic files from BIT to BMP. So there is other option. How to export it, or how make this smill exe file work to export. After all, I can send to you this program, but its only Polish language 😀. It was made by one of our scientists in 1990 or something.

Reply 4 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe lasttobmp.exe is not a DOS program at all. Impossible to say, without seeing the program.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 12, by llm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

questions:
1. GRANULOM.exe works under XP(on old PC) AND in DosBox (on new systems)
2. Lasttobmp.exe works under XP(on old PC) BUT NOT in DosBox
thats correct?

is Lasttobmp.exe some sort of GUI-App? - could it be a Win 3.x Applikation?

is the Source-Code of these programs available?

btw: you need to stop "clicking" on anything - its confusing in context of DosBox (there is nothing clickable)

could you upload (if its leagaly ok) the applications to depositfiles.com or something - with a small how-to-run description

Reply 7 of 12, by Paindemonium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
llm wrote:
questions: 1. GRANULOM.exe works under XP(on old PC) AND in DosBox (on new systems) 2. Lasttobmp.exe works under XP(on old PC) B […]
Show full quote

questions:
1. GRANULOM.exe works under XP(on old PC) AND in DosBox (on new systems)
2. Lasttobmp.exe works under XP(on old PC) BUT NOT in DosBox
thats correct?

is Lasttobmp.exe some sort of GUI-App? - could it be a Win 3.x Applikation?

is the Source-Code of these programs available?

btw: you need to stop "clicking" on anything - its confusing in context of DosBox (there is nothing clickable)

could you upload (if its leagaly ok) the applications to depositfiles.com or something - with a small how-to-run description

Sorry. I use bad word for this funcion after all. And yes, ill send this program or part of it when I contact with the profesor, who will accept this. I dont want to brake someobdys copyright, sharing this program on internet. Probobly will be no problem and I soon contact with You Azarien.

Answering for questions. Yes. Granulom works on XP and dosbox, but only one part of it, lasttobmp.exe is not working with dosbox afterall. This exe was only a small application, to convert graphic with geo profile. In Granulom when we finish creating profile, we got to pres B button and when we hear sound, write name of the file and press ENTER. Then we leave granulom, and open this lasttobmp.exe, then after few seconds, we got in folder graphic of geo profile in bmp file. And that is the clue. I think this exe is new, becouse last modification is from 2008. And its not for windows at all. Opening this exe as duble click, give us information that file is not working with the windows.

Edit: As I though, i dont know know there s\is official chance tos hare this program, becouse guy who made it long time ago probably will not accept this. But we can use it as well in our university by students and scientists. Problem is there is no alternative for this program, and he is to old. After all I can cooperate with somebody who want to help me with fixing this problem about this exe, we can contact online on skype or something and try to use doxbox funcions to make this application work. Iff there is no problem, show me the way what to do, how open this file, see in what programing language was made etc. Maybe it can work.😀 afterall thx for many answers for my problem. Afterall Dosbox give us chance to work on this program on all PC we got, but still we cant export to BMP finished project till we dont open it on XP windows 😀.

Edit 2:

lastbmp.jpg

But simple click without using dosbox give me informattion that file is not work with windows 😀

Reply 8 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There you have it. It's not a Dos program it is a Windows program. Install Windows XP or Windows 9x in a Virtual Machine and you might be good

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 12, by llm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But simple click without using dosbox give me informattion that file is not work with windows

now is the question: it runs under Win XP on the old machine - but not in Dosbox

so it could be a Win16 Applikation (aka Win 3.x - the 16bit version of windows before Win95)
then you need to install Win 3.11 under dosbox to run the program

search google for install instructions: win 3.11 under dosbox

or just use Win XP in a Virtual Machine (like VMWare Player, Virtualbox, VirtualPC) like Dominus solution

Reply 10 of 12, by Paindemonium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx alot guys. Now I got more information about this applikation. So there is no option to modificate this file to work in actual windows? After all ill try those tips with mate from university. Ill have to show him this topic and we will try do some good work with them in this week. Thx a lot.

Reply 11 of 12, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is almost certainly a Win16 application, because they typically displayed "This program requires Microsoft Windows" when run in DOS.
On the other hand, Win32 programs display "This program cannot be run in DOS mode".

So there is no option to modificate this file to work in actual windows?

It should work on a 32-bit version of Windows (even Windows 10). No chance on 64-bit Windows, whatever version (even XP).

If you can't install natively 32-bit version of Win7/8/10, then the only option is a virtual machine.

Reply 12 of 12, by llm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so GRANULOM.exe seems to be a pure 16bit dos applikation
and Lasttobmp.exe seems to be a win16 applikation

So there is no option to modificate this file to work in actual windows?

no - no modification option

Options:
1. use Dosbox and install Win 3.11 inside Dosbox

2. as Azarien stated: use a 32bit version of windows should even work on a x64 hardware - but limited to ~3GB ram then

3. use a virtual machine to run a 32bit version of windows (which is capable of running dos and win16 applikations) on top of x64 windows

for quick test:
3.1. download vmware player 12 x64 for free from here
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop … ion_player/12_0
3.2. download a (90 days running) Win XP testversion as ready-to-use VMWare image
https://dev.windows.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/ … ls/vms/windows/
Select: Virtual machine: "IE6 on XP" and Select platform: "VMWare"
3.3. run the "IE6 on XP" image in VMWare Player copy your programs and run as usual

4. if Lasttobmp.exe is small enough it could be reverse engineered into a native 32/64bit win applikation - using IDA and some manual asm->C porting