VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if this happens only to me, but is a problem I cannot solve.
When I put cycles max (only in max) in any game that I test, there's always a stuttering lasting 1-2 seconds, then it goes fine and again the stuttering appears by other 1-2 seconds and so always. When this happens (in those 1-2 seconds) it seems that the emulation freezes.
I have a partition with Windows XP 32 bits and in that Windows the problem does not occurs.
This happens to me with both the official version (0.74) and the latest SVN.

Any help?

Thanks!

Reply 5 of 17, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yes, I had forgotten completely that topic, and is more, I had replied it, sorry 😊

It was possible find out what the problem was and were able to reach a solution?
Why in XP this problem does not happen?

Reply 6 of 17, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VisitntX wrote:

It was possible find out what the problem was and were able to reach a solution?

use fixed cycles
find what cycles your CPU handles ok with the concrete game - rise cycles and check CPU load, the peak load should be below 95%. Also you may set something like 30000 what is close to 486 66 MHz and don't change it for most <=1994 games. MSI Afterburner has CPU load measurement. Another way is using ykhwong's port to set max and in some game to look at cycles, then set 90% of it.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 7 of 17, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, more or less is what I was doing until now, but with cycles max is more comfortable and safe (and less headache 😀 )

What exactly is the problem? DOSBox, Windows, my computer?
Is a strange problem or is very common? Because I looked everywhere about this problem and nobody mentions it.

Reply 12 of 17, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VisitntX wrote:

with cycles max is more comfortable and safe

cycles=max is useful mostly to understand the max performance of an unknown machine

Generally, it's better to use fixed cycles to overcome possible issues caused by period incorrect speed. For example:
- PM games (~1993 and later) - max for your CPU
- real mode VGA games - 19000 (486DX 50 MHz)
- EGA games - 4500 (386DX 20 MHz)
- CGA games - 1000, 315 (286 6 MHz, XT)
Some games may need slowing and some may work better with higher cycles.

What exactly is the problem? DOSBox, Windows, my computer?

DOSBox was made for XP and CPUs of 2000s had no such fancy power management. I'd try to update BIOS (it has to officially support your CPU), remove TDP limits, to turn off turbo mode, hyperthreading etc. To switch off the sound in games to exclude audio driver, to use surface mode to exclude video, to try more buffering like fulldouble=true in fullscreen. Install fresh drivers for chipset.
If you'll say your MB, CPU model and games with the issue, then probably someone with similar configuration who solved this problem will recommend concrete methods.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 13 of 17, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Generally only use cycles max in protected mode games (the most demanding games), but for testing I use it in almost any game.
The problem appears always (and I tried with a lot of games), from CGA to Quake (to give an example).
The weird is that in XP this problem does not occur, and is the same computer, so I guess it has something to do with the operating system and the dosbox? I do not know.

My PC:

*MB = ASUS M5A88-M
*CPU = Phenom II X4 965 (3.4 GHZ)
*VIDEO = AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5670
*RAM = 4 GB DDR3

Reply 14 of 17, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VisitntX wrote:

*MB = ASUS M5A88-M

Update bios and drivers.
try, if it's possible technically:
- disable EPU, TPU
- switch off Core Unlocker, Auto Tuning
- uninstall TurboV, GPU Boost
- remove any CPU overclocking, set CPU clock below standard
Also disable sound in games, assign only a single core to DOSBox.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 15 of 17, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

* I've already updated the BIOS and drivers
* How I disable EPU & TPU? From BIOS?
* I've core unlocker switched off in BIOS
* I don't have installed TurboV & GPU Boost and any ASUS software
* My CPU is not overclocking
* When I put a single core, the result is worse, the sound is not hear well

Reply 16 of 17, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VisitntX wrote:

How I disable EPU & TPU? From BIOS?

The vendor's site has MB manual where should be described how to configure it.

When I put a single core, the result is worse, the sound is not hear well

You may assign another core. DOSBox is single core application, anyway. If you have background proccesses like antivirus, net connection, etc - it's good to switch them off, so the CPU load was more constant.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide