VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 95B

Topic actions

First post, by olddosuser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that Windows is not officially supported by DosBox, but I am hoping for some help anyway. I was able to get it in installed and running. I created an image file and installed it in there and boot the image file and it works.

However, there are 2 problems. 1) My cd-rom drive is not listed in windows 95B. I figure this is because the are no 95 drivers for it. I do have am image of the CD-Rom game. I tried to mount the iso file to a drive letter with the -t parameter, It mounted, but when I start windows 95, it does not see it. I mounted my physical cd-rom drive and booted into Windows, but it did not see that either. I tried to use the -aspi parameter, but I got some kind of error message. Can't remember what is was. Is there a way to mount my drive or image so that windows will see it. I prefer to use the image file.

Problem 2) I have a Logitech Xbox f310 game controller. Is there a way to get windows 95 to see it. I know that 95 does not support usb, but I thought since DosBox emulates the gameport, that Windows would see it. There are no 98 drivers for it; so installing 98 in DosBox probably won't work. I already tried installing 98 in VirtualBox and did not get the controller working. It did see it, but without the drivers, 98 would not configure it. Does anyone have suggestions? I do have an old controller with a gameport connector. I thought about getting a gameport to usb adapter, but I know those things are hit and miss. I suppose I could try to find an old controller with 98 drivers. Btw, I did try XP drivers in the 98 VirtualBox; did not work.

I would appreciate any help in these 2 problems. This is the only Windows game that I miss playing. All my other games runs in Dos and DoxBox works perfectly for them. I have tried using the compatibility mode with no luck. I have not been able to play this game since windows 98. I never even got it to work in XP. I am currently on Windows 10.

Reply 1 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. This is for Windows games. Ask DOSBox questions in the DOSBox forum. You are right that Windows 95 is not supported, but perhaps in a 3rd party build. Just don't expect much help.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1) The internal mount command in DOSBox is done via its emulated DOS.
Once you boot off from an image, it is gone.

2) DOSBox can handle every joystick or gamepad available to the host OS.
It then is accessible as a virtual joystick on an emulated gameport.
This means that you're restricted to say a 2/4-axis, two/four button controller.
See dosbox.conf for details.

DOSBox is a fine piece of software, but an emulator like PCem would be better for Win9x.
Something which has emulation of specific hardware from that era, like S3 Virge support or Voodoo emulation.

If you're gettin' a gameport-usb adapter, get that clumsy big thing with a switch.
Don't use those tiny adapters, they're just mechanical adapters and only work with dual mode joysticks.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 14, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
olddosuser wrote:
I know that Windows is not officially supported by DosBox, but I am hoping for some help anyway. I was able to get it in install […]
Show full quote

I know that Windows is not officially supported by DosBox, but I am hoping for some help anyway. I was able to get it in installed and running. I created an image file and installed it in there and boot the image file and it works.

However, there are 2 problems. 1) My cd-rom drive is not listed in windows 95B. I figure this is because the are no 95 drivers for it. I do have am image of the CD-Rom game. I tried to mount the iso file to a drive letter with the -t parameter, It mounted, but when I start windows 95, it does not see it. I mounted my physical cd-rom drive and booted into Windows, but it did not see that either. I tried to use the -aspi parameter, but I got some kind of error message. Can't remember what is was. Is there a way to mount my drive or image so that windows will see it. I prefer to use the image file.

Problem 2) I have a Logitech Xbox f310 game controller. Is there a way to get windows 95 to see it. I know that 95 does not support usb, but I thought since DosBox emulates the gameport, that Windows would see it. There are no 98 drivers for it; so installing 98 in DosBox probably won't work. I already tried installing 98 in VirtualBox and did not get the controller working. It did see it, but without the drivers, 98 would not configure it. Does anyone have suggestions? I do have an old controller with a gameport connector. I thought about getting a gameport to usb adapter, but I know those things are hit and miss. I suppose I could try to find an old controller with 98 drivers. Btw, I did try XP drivers in the 98 VirtualBox; did not work.

I would appreciate any help in these 2 problems. This is the only Windows game that I miss playing. All my other games runs in Dos and DoxBox works perfectly for them. I have tried using the compatibility mode with no luck. I have not been able to play this game since windows 98. I never even got it to work in XP. I am currently on Windows 10.

Try an svn or dosbox-x but expect no support here.

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 7 of 14, by olddosuser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks...I did get it to work. I used Megabuild 6. It had a imgmake program that creates Dos image files and they mounted automatically without having to use the 512,63,16, x parameter, You don't need to know the value of x. I got the controller to work by flipping a switch on the bottom of the controller. The official development of DosBox seems dead since there hasn't been a new release in years. If it ever starts again, might I suggest adding imgmake and printer support. I have not tried printing with MB6 yet, but the notes say it has printing capability. Some of the other forks seem to in the early stages and don't have as many as features as the official.

Reply 8 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While there hasn't been an official release, many improvements have been made in the DOSBox SVN; MB6 is old and is missing these many improvements. The SVN Daum build has all the features of MB6 and more and is usually recommended (except the very latest one apparently has other, different bugs).

olddosuser wrote:

If it ever starts again, might I suggest adding imgmake and printer support.

As printers are generally not required for DOS games, the addition of printer support in official DOSBox is highly unlikely.

olddosuser wrote:

I already tried installing 98 in VirtualBox and did not get the controller working. It did see it, but without the drivers, 98 would not configure it.

The F310 has a switch on the bottom to select DirectInput or XInput. DirectInput will probably work in Windows 98 in VMware; XInput definitely won't.

This is the only Windows game that I miss playing.

Which game? You didn't name anything.

Reply 9 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did any DOS game use the printer for music output? That's the only use I can think of.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anything that supports a Covox Speech Thing / Disney Sound Source driver. DOSbox can already emulate that iirc... so maybe the "old game" that "needs a printer" is dBase?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

Did any DOS game use the printer for music output? That's the only use I can think of.

There were a few that would print high scores or something.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 12 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking at Mobygames, quite a few educational titles have printer support. Games like Designasaurus and Electric Crayon don't really work unless you can print your creations. May I suggest that printer support be included on the feature request list, but certainly at an appropriately low priority?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems to me that an appropriate response would be that those who want printer support can go and use one of the alternative builds that have the printer support patch, as such an uncommon feature would add significant, needless complexity to the main branch.

But the point is kind of moot since there's no sign of an official new version emerging soon anyway.

Reply 14 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember that one of my favorite games, The Last Half of Darkness, required a printer.
Without one you were unable to create a map of your current location.
Plus, output was linewise for continuous paper. So a normal image output is rather useless here.
A normal text file would be much more suited for this..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//