VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by daffers234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone! I've been using DOSBox for years to enjoy my fave old games, but I've never tried recording before. Now I am running into some problems. I've searched around but could not find any useful information for my system and version. (All my info is clumped at the end of this post.) What happens is that the video records and plays perfectly fine, but there is no sound at all - no music, no sound effects, nothing. I have tried all the online tips to get the sound to work, but no dice.

As you can guess by my post's title, I have not been able to install the codec for DOSBox. I followed the instructions but when I try to install, I get an error message that says "Setup cannot copy the file zmbv.inf" and a request to change the destination and "insert 'Zip Motion Block Video codec' into it. I messed around with it for longer than was necessary and could not get the codec installed.

Part of the problem seems to be my OS ... I am using Windows 8 (a brand new laptop was a present last Christmas) and I can ONLY find information for Windows 7 and older versions. Another problem is that the links and tips I found were for older DOSBox versions and the items didn't seem to work and I hate to download/install another one on the off-chance that it'll help. I obviously don't know too much about computers (if I did I'd just figure it out myself). Many of the helpful messages were too technical for me. I tried to find just the .inf file and move it myself but all I can find is something called Setup Information and a .dll that I cannot do anything with.

Please pardon my ignorance. I'm sure it's really simple, I'm just stuck. If ANYONE can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. If you need further information or can help, let me know! Thanks!

Here's my info:
SYSTEM: Windows 8 (I use Classic Shell)
VERSION: DOSBox-0.74
DETAILS: Uses default settings

Reply 1 of 11, by LotBlind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have the same problem in Win 10 64 bit, using the same version of DosBox on def settings after a fresh install. Same error "can't copy the inf file". I tried manually changing that file's extension into .inf at which point it just says "installation failed".

Win 10.0.15063 Build 15063

Used to work on my laptop which had 32-bit windows 10.

Reply 3 of 11, by LotBlind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just after I posted that, I noticed someone saying I should try hitting the start menu command in administrator mode. This time it seemed to do something. I restarted but it still creates files I can't view when I record video out of DosBox. So it must have failed anyway.

What do you mean "needs"? You mean *needs*?

Reply 4 of 11, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try executing the installer as administrator.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 5 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You will need to run it as an administrator and you'll also need to use a decent media player (VLC) that can play the codec.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This time it seemed to do something. I restarted but it still creates files I can't view when I record video out of DosBox

Post a screenshot.

Reply 8 of 11, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installing 32-bit codecs in a 64-bit system is a bit more complicated because you have to run 32-bit version of rundll32.exe, while the start-menu link tries to run the 64-bit one.

Open console as administrator, go to the directory with the codec, and run:

C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 zmbv.inf

Reply 9 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's the 64bit ver but it doesn't matter since if run against a 32bit dll then should be redirected to the rundll32 in the SYSWOW64 folder which is 32bit.

Reply 10 of 11, by LotBlind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay guys turns out I just needed to use not VLC but Windows Media Player (not the new Windows one either). I don't know if after the restart it actually worked and I just did the wrong thing. Come to think of it VLC may never have worked on the old compy either.

Thanks for the advice! I should be able to work with this...

Reply 11 of 11, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's nice!

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)