VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by LWC

User metadata

Hi!
I have a simple LAN and all the computers in it have Windows XP.
I've tried to make one computer listen while the other does the atdt thing (e.g. atdt10.0.0.2), but it just never works! Both computers just keep waiting for connection until I give up...

I've tried launching "netstat" on the computer that listens, while it listens, but according to it, port 23 (or whatever else I tried) is not even in listening state!

I'm starting to think that the virtual modem feature does not support internal LAN IP addresses (10.0.0.*, 192.168.0.*, etc.) and that's the way for me to test it.
Please tell me it ain't so!

Reply 1 of 9, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm running the modem on port 101010, and telneting to it from another box on my LAN (using a 192.168.x.x class C subnet) It seems to be working (Albiet, I have no software installed with which to test with really, save things like Falcon 3.0 and One Must Fall, and Wing Commander: Armada, but I have no other systems on the network with Dos Box installed.

The telnet session connects, and I can hear Dos Box create its ring tone to the sound card. Try changing your modem port in your dosbox.conf, probably want it to be something above 1024. 😀

Reply 2 of 9, by LWC

User metadata

Well, I've tried "OMF 2097" so we'll talk on the same level, but no matter if I try to connect or listen, it keeps complaining about my modem having no "UART"...the original game that made me open this topic is Wacky Wheels, so perhaps it had the same problem.

Incidentally, "OMF 2097" has a "-no16550" option, but it just defaults the UART into 8250 instead of shutting it down completly like I hoped it would.

Also, I've found out that DosBox does not find its conf file automatically like I thought it would. Now I always add the "-conf" option and indeed, the LAN computers, when DosBox works, have 23 port open, so at least that's covered.

So what do you suggests now? What do I do about the UART thing?

Reply 5 of 9, by LWC

User metadata

I'd like to add that I've tried the virtual modem in Archon Ultra and it actually worked! So forget my "no LAN support" theory!

Alas, each time I try it, the game loses connection after a few minutes.
What gives?!

Also, it says it uses port 17, although I've never touched the modem's defaults in the .conf file, which indicate port 23.
How come?

P.S.
Unlike what the official site says, Archon Ultra works PERFECTLY!
That is, if you use parameters and more specifically /s:SILENT
(because /s:SBLASTER still makes the game halt right in the intro screen).

In other words, you must force the game to shut off the sounds, but at least it finally works in Windows XP!

Reply 8 of 9, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alas, each time I try it, the game loses connection after a few minutes. What gives?!

Sounds like a buffer overrun or something. I'll give it a try and see what I can find.