VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I'm trying to capture raw MIDI data from several old MS-DOS games (Cartooners, Commander Keen 6, and Prince of Persia) but for some reason failing. These are the step I go through when trying this:
1. Start DOSBox 0.74 using the configuration specified in the file attached to this post.
2. Press the CTRL+ALT+F8 keys. The following message appears in the console: "Preparing for raw midi capture, will start with first data."
3. Start a game and let play some music. I'm almost 100% certain all three the games I mentioned use MIDI music.
4. Press the CTRL+ALT+F8 keys again. Now the following message appears: Stopped capturing raw midi before any data arrived.
5. Quit DOSBox.

The message that appears that step 4 is odd given the fact that a game is/was playing MIDI music at the time.

My computer:
1. Motherboard: MEDIONPC MS-7728 (CPU 1)
2. Processor type and speed: Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz - Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
3. Amount and type of RAM: 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
4. Video board w/ RAM amount and type: SyncMaster (1600x900@60Hz) 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7450 (Elitegroup)
5. Sound board: AMD High Definition Audio Device
6. Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (English)
7. Reproducibility of problem: Always.
8. Sound mode used: ???
9. Version of emulator: DOSBox v0.74

I've already done some searching on the internet and I find a lot of rather technical stuff which appears to be unrelated to my issue. I would appreciate it if any one here could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Filename
dosbox-0.74.conf
File size
10.74 KiB
Downloads
53 downloads
File comment
My DOSBox configuration.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Peter Swinkels on 2016-07-22, 14:47. Edited 2 times in total.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 2 of 4, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, thanks for the answer. I set Cartooners to use a Roland soundcard instead of Adlib. I can record raw MIDI now. Thanks.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 4 of 4, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, Keen doesn't use MIDI music at all. It uses the IMF file format which is an Adlib format. It can now be converted to MIDI though, and tweaked/converted by hand to sound like a "better" General MIDI version.