VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WarMasterXX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm trying to get Quake I and II* set up in DOSBox so that I can play both games with no trouble not just on Mac computers, but on Windows computers with crappy or no video drivers**.

I've been able to do the same thing with the DOOM games, but the problem with the Quake games is that they require CWSDPMI in order to function. But whenever I've tried to get a game and/or emulator that relies on CWSDPMI working on a Mac computer before (like ZSNES), DOSBox will crash. Also, I don't have quick and easy access to Mac computers because I only have Windows computers at home, and the only two libraries I know of that have Mac computers are far away, so I can only get to them occasionally...

Therefore, I wanna edit the dosbox.conf so that next time I have access to a Mac computer, it will run the Quake games with no problems, even with CWSDPMI. You guys think you'll be able to help me out with that?

One more thing, I have to use the official DOSBox v0.74 for WIndows and Mac from http://www.dosbox.com (Meaning no SVNs), because they're fully portable. In Mac's case, it reads the dosbox.conf that's right in the DOSBox app's directory (Why the hell do the new SVNs make it so that it doesn't anymore?) and in Windows case, it doesn't require any extra DLLs besides SDL and SDL_net...

*Yes, Quake II DOES run in DOSBox now: http://dk.toastednet.org/Q2DOS/
**Unfortunately, there are computers out there in this day and age that are like that: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/885 … and-or-drivers/

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can use the mac svn builds and point at the conf file via terminal.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And you should try with an SVN build so you know it actually works.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 10, by WarMasterXX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That doesn't help me at all. I explicitly explained why I don't wanna use the SVN builds.

Tomorrow I'm going to a library that has Mac computers, and I'm gonna test my Quake DOSBox setup as-is. If it doesn't work, I'll try upping the memsize. If that still doesn't work, I'm just gonna go back to the DOOM games, which DON'T require CWSDPMI and run just fine in DOSBox under Windows computers with crappy video setups AND Macs.

Thanks for nothing Dominus. If anyone else has REAL help, please respond...

Reply 4 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WarMasterXX wrote:

That doesn't help me at all. I explicitly explained why I don't wanna use the SVN builds.

Yes? And Dominus explained that the problem you have with the the SVN builds can be easily circumvented. In any case it would be useful to try just for troubleshooting purposes.

If anyone else has REAL help, please respond...

Exactly what were you expecting to find here? Some kind of magical --makecwsdpmiworkplease switch?

To be clear, are you saying that the same version of DOSBox that works under Windows with this build of Quake 2 will crash on Mac OS, even if the same dosbox.conf is used?

Most of the time when there are problems running cwsdpmi programs under DOSBox, the programs were intended to be run from a Windows command prompt and were never intended to run from DOS in the first place. In such cases one solution is to run "cwsdpmi -x" before running the program. Another possible solution is to replace cwsdpmi with HXDPMI, which it seems you can get from http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/JPC.html (since the official site is down). However, if the program is already running fine under DOSBox in Windows, then I do not see any reason why it would not also run without problems in DOSBox on Mac OS.

Reply 5 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Quake runs fine for me on OS X with Dosbox 0.74. There was one reason why it wouldn't run for me both in OS X and Windows but I guess you don't want to know the solution to that. (error was "Couldn't load text and data")

Reply 6 of 10, by WarMasterXX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I'm sorry I was rude. I just felt annoyed about the SVN suggestion primarily because I'm trying to keep my DOSBox setup 100% portable (as in, playable off a thumb drive without requiring and/or having to write additional files outside of the DOSBox directory), on both Windows and Mac.

I know I'm sounding extremely picky with these requirements, but let me explain why: I'm planning on making Quake II my Favorite Game Ever. Because of my OCD, my "Favorite Game Ever" has to be playable everywhere I go, on console, on every PC I have access to*, and on handheld. The console and handheld parts have been taken care of (Quake II's been ported to PS1, N64, and XBOX 360 each with fantastic results IMO, and I have two handheld devices that can run Quake II with pretty much no issues (thanks to PSX2PSP and PSXperia), and the Windows half of the PC part has been taken care of. The Mac half is the only barrier that remains.

To be fair, I think the only program I tried to run on DOSBox Mac before that requires CWSDPMI was ZSNES, and like I said before, it crashed DOSBox. But then I never tried another CWSDPMI program again. However, if you guys are saying that Quake I and II should run fine on DOSBox Mac since they already run fine on DOSBox Windows, then that raises my hopes.

I apologize once again to Dominus and anyone else who was offended by my rudeness, and I'll try the SVN if the official 0.74 build fails me. I'm also gonna try Jorpho's suggestions as well...

*Just Windows and Mac computers. I don't run into Linux or other OS computers nearly enough to be bothered to play my "Favorite Game Ever" on them...

Reply 7 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

btw. SDL, the underlying cross platform library DOSBox uses, broke the OS X Dosbox in-folder config reading...

Reply 8 of 10, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I just don't get it. You say you want the game to be portable so you can play it on every system. But then you are already using different versions (Win, N64, PSX emulated, etc.) of the game after all. So why don't you just use a Mac port of Quake 2 instead of trying to run it with a DOS port in DOSBox? This one, for example: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/6960/quake-ii

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 9 of 10, by WarMasterXX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem with that port is that not only does it not come with the game data, but you have to pay for it (source ports like that are usually released for free). Plus it's $40! Quake II is only $5 on Steam, and only $10 on GOG (which throws in both mission packs and a ton of mods all with a convenient launcher at no extra cost). Thanks for trying to help Yesterplay, but that's a total ripoff IMHO.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm pleased to announce that I was finally able to access not one, but two Mac computers today, and thus I tested my initial Quake DOSBox setup on it...

It WORKED! Both Quake I and Quake II! Flawlessly! I didn't need to fix anything!

The Berlin Wall has been knocked down. Quake II is now playable everywhere I go, and is now my Favorite Game Ever.

I do appreciate that you guys helped me out with this, just so you know...

Reply 10 of 10, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are also free sourceports like Yamagi Quake 2 for the Mac, which uise the files from the Windows version. But I'm glad it worked out for you with DOSBox as well! 😀

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)