VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by frostythelion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, my name is Frosty, and i am indeed a lion. Well, 2 weeks ago i was having no issues with dosbox, i played one of my favorite games called The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall for hours and hours, no crashes ,nothing. But, now when i try to launch the game its gives me an error message saying "dosbox has stopped working" every single time i try to start the game. Just today i was trying to figure out if it was simply the game that was working incorrectly, what i learned was quite the opposite. it would appear DOSBox is the issue. if you see a regular dosbox.. box you will see the blue tint, with control mappings and such, i dont have this.

i'm not sure if this would have a correlation, but the last time i had played daggerfall, was a day or two before i had downloaded a .exe off the web, and it was corrupted with an adware. spent all night getting rid of the MLC garbage... but anyways, on the night opening of the open beta for battlefield 1 which was august 30th , i required the newest nvidia offered by GEforce to run the game, as does World of Warcraft: Legion. After these two things, they either are inflicting files, and causing dosbox to be aalllllll fucked up, or something else is causing it. but i've done all i can.

I'm not specifically sure if those two things would have caused damage such as this.. but i will provide screenshots, i have been able to atleast figure out that the issue is being caused by something interfering with dosbox working correctly, or something along those lines. but i dont know what, and am stuck at this point. i am deeply in peril as i cannot finish my quest in daggerfall 🙁 my computer broke in 2002 and i wasnt able to beat the game until recently when i was opted to try it out again, and fell back in love with it, i will absolutely not stand for this, i will beat this game after 15 years god damnit. Anyone who can help, i will greatly appreciate. thank you.

Attachments

• Capture2323.PNG
    Filename
    Capture2323.PNG
    File size
    146.89 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    this is how dosbox should look
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • trtrtr.PNG
    Filename
    trtrtr.PNG
    File size
    17.22 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    this is the DOSBox i am presented with.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by frostythelion on 2016-09-11, 05:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Go here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxEUS … aW1aYXlRRkRpVE0
Download the SVN (non PLUS), just copy the files over your old files.
Try to run your game again.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 2 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If that doesn't work, try changing the line "output=surface" in your DOSBox.conf to "output=openglnb", or one of the other options.

You can access DOSBox.conf via the "DOSBox 0.74 Options" in your Start menu.

Reply 3 of 7, by frostythelion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote:

I tried this, and it did not work. i downloaded the first of the drive files, correct me if that was the wrong one.

Reply 4 of 7, by frostythelion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

If that doesn't work, try changing the line "output=surface" in your DOSBox.conf to "output=openglnb", or one of the other options.

You can access DOSBox.conf via the "DOSBox 0.74 Options" in your Start menu.

i did this and it did not work. i noticed some odd things in the options, like no language was selected it was just language=
and fullscreen set to false. idk if that's how it's supposed to be

Reply 5 of 7, by frostythelion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote:

hey wait a minute, this actually got me somewhere, i have the blue text box with dos now 😀 it looks to be normal im not sure, still wont run daggerfall though maybe i can retype the mount cd stuff all in again, maybe i can get to work. i'll check back in here every night. thanks for getting me this far,

Reply 6 of 7, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a known problem with Windows 10.
Always use the latest SVN version from the link i posted.

The SVN dosbox-SVN.conf file located here: %LocalAppData%\DOSBox, or C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\DOSBox.
Copy and paste the bold text into the address bar in My Computer.
You get a completely new configuration with SVN build.

As suggested by Jorpho, change your output=openglnb, Surface may cause the black screen on windows 10.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 7 of 7, by frostythelion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote:
This is a known problem with Windows 10. Always use the latest SVN version from the link i posted. […]
Show full quote

This is a known problem with Windows 10.
Always use the latest SVN version from the link i posted.

The SVN dosbox-SVN.conf file located here: %LocalAppData%\DOSBox, or C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\DOSBox.
Copy and paste the bold text into the address bar in My Computer.
You get a completely new configuration with SVN build.

As suggested by Jorpho, change your output=openglnb, Surface may cause the black screen on windows 10.

guys i cant thank you enough, this has been very helpful. i got daggerfall up and running, this is a very helpful community you guys have here. you are the greatest,
the only thing that sucks is i have to start a new game, but thats okay, the game is fun all the way through. thank you so much