VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have some issues whit DosBox on my Debian installation. Just downloaded some games from Gog and others. But i have problem running the games on full screen, than the Ratio is wrong (wide screen display). I've tried the aspect ratio thing written here: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/dosbox.conf#aspect … _true_.7C_false but that did not helped. Wile playing in a windows, everything is perfect, but on full screen it's like ubermass...

what can i do?

Next thing is that the mouse is to fast, can't even aim on a small thing.

Reply 2 of 4, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, the mouse is working good now, whit a sensitivity of 25 instead of 100.

But the video is still widescreen. I tried all the available settings according to the text document: "output -- What to use for output: surface,overlay,opengl,openglnb,ddraw."

Reply 3 of 4, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the official dosbox 0.74 has a problem with the aspect parameter, it has been fixed in latter SVN builds but I doubt there is one for Debian.
In any case, OpenGL/NB is the best output for linux.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 4 of 4, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 'aspect ratio' in dosbox doesn't do what you want (i was confused too). It is 'merely' changing the form of pixels during scaling up to be more like CRT pixels (which are rounded) not like LCD (square). I think they have different height too or something. But the most common form of distortion actually comes from the graphics drivers scaling 4:3 to 16:9 (or whatever), making everything look wider.

If you want to disable stretching you have two options depending on what you need to do. For 'most' dosgames you can do:
fullscreen=desktop

and
output=opengl or openglnb or ddraw (depending on what you have and if you want blur or not on the case of openglnb). These outputs stretch to fit which in the case of 1366x768 and most dos resolutions means a almost-square without bottom bars centered on the screen.

Then there are some games and most importantly, windows 95, which confuse dosbox with resolution changing internally and can screw this up. For those you want to mess directly with the streching of your graphical drivers.

On my box on linux i do this with
first set you game conf file
fullscreen=original (this causes windows internal resolution changes to be picked up by the driver)

have a 'streching output' configured too, then on the command line:
xrandr --output LVDS --set "scaling mode" "Full aspect" (this causes the mesa driver to strech 'centered' - there are a few more options you can search in google and beware that LVDS is a monitor id so it can be different for you). This command will reset on boot on linux unless you take the trouble to find the right config file or put it in rc.local (i didn't).
This might or might not get get blackbars on the bottom. For me it did, slightly, but it's already a hell of a lot better than before. Of course if you're using a different driver/not on linux, it will be different for you, but the idea is the same.