VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bilwar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I bought an old wordprocessor at a yard sale, it uses MS-DOS to save files to a floppy disk drive, its made by Brother, I was able to find the manual online, for free.

Looking over it, the keyboard/typewriter has a port that the monitor would plug into and the floppy disk drive, I took it to an electronics store, looking for something I could plug into it to get it to either print or save files to, they found an adaptor that fits the plug on the keyboard, and would plug into a standard USB port on a computer.

The computer that I use the most has Windows 10 on it, I also have a netbook with Windows 7 Starter and a desktop with Vista and a old laptop with XP on it.

Plugging the cord into a USB port on the Win 10 Laptop after I installed the driver from the CD the cord came with, followed by turning on the keyboard-wordprocessor, did nothing, it cant find it, so, thanks for any help or advice

I also have the monitor, they both seem to work

Reply 2 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bilwar wrote:

they found an adaptor that fits the plug on the keyboard, and would plug into a standard USB port on a computer.

It is quite difficult to begin to suggest anything without knowing more about this specific "plug on the keyboard". If it is a serial-to-USB cable (or RS232-to-USB, as it may be called), then DOSBox may not be necessary at all and it is quite likely that any Windows terminal program may suffice.

Why don't you just provide a link to the manual you found?