VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rcj8993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out in native dos machines, with daggerfall, there is a method to be used to cache game resources to ram for quicker load times, and better performance. Ive been able to allocate 20mb for textures and 20 for objects out of the 63mb dosbox will let me use max.

However i hear their is a major performance increase with using 40mb each on both options set in z.cfg, so that every load and animation is fluid. But any more can cause the game to crash. Afaik daggerfall caches only around 2-4mb. So this is an improvement.

But i get errors with this since i cant use more than 63mb of ram since dosbox tops out there at that arbitrary number...

Additionally i discovered you can enable floating-point calculations in z.cfg as well. Is there any benefit to doing this?

To add these; incase anyones interested add em to z.cfg.

fpu 1
texturememory 20000
objmemsize 20000

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think this limit was a highhanded decision of the DOSBox team. There's a reason for this.

As far as I know, 64MB were the limit of the old XMS memory standard.

This affected all Himem.sys versions shipped with the real versions of DOS upto 6.22.

Newer versions of Himem.sys, which are XMS 3.0 compliant, can support up to 4GB of RAM.

But since this requires XMS 3.0 aware programs and DOSBox aims for good DOS 5.0 compatibility,
the limit is set to 64MB.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you could try dosbox-x if you want, it can go up to 512mb i think

https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x

you'll have to compile it yourself though

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 3 of 4, by Rcj8993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

But since this requires XMS 3.0 aware programs and DOSBox aims for good DOS 5.0 compatibility,

Why dos 5.0? Dont games like daggerfall reccomend MSDOS 6.0?

Reply 4 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rcj8993 wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

Why dos 5.0? Dont games like daggerfall reccomend MSDOS 6.0?

Because DOS 6.x got MemMaker and MSCDEX, I guess.
However, it will also run on DOS 5.

DOS 5/6 do use the almost same kernel. Afaik, there's no game that requires DOS 6,
but some games do check for DOS 5. Here's the reason why DOS 5 was such a success:

Back in June 1991, DOS 5.0 introduced several new features. It was the first one which could
upload itself into UMBs and the HMA, it got a Shell, included himem.sys and EMM386,
DOS 5 also got a few new APIs, several new external commands (undelete and unformat utilities for example),
supported new FAT16 versions, QBasic, added support for 2.88MB floppies, got a better setup, etc.

Or simply said, it was major upgrade for people who came from DOS 3.3 and skipped DOS 4.x (already had some of the stuff above).

To give you an idea, just watch this video.. 😀

Silly MS-DOS 5 Promo Video (High Quality)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxC6PytZMqc

Plus, other OSes like Windows NT and OS/2 Warp do also pretend to have DOS 5.0.

That beeing said, DOSBox allows you to change the version number to anything else anytime.
So it's no issue at all. The DOSBox makers simply wanted to recreate a compatible and authentic
environment these games were used to.

Of course, on a real Pentium machine you can also borrow himem.sys from Win9x and use it in DOS 5/6.
However, this approach does make very little sense in DOSBox. DOSBox keeps the memory limitations of a typical
386/486 machine so older games wouldn't go bonkers. Besides, XMS 3.0 could confuse older games.
Even though I haven't seen this myself and it shouldn't happen, a lot of things can go wrong in computing.
Just remember Murphy's Law: If anything can't go wrong, it will anyway.

486 mobo/BIOS memory limits
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?342 … S-memory-limits

I hope this post was helpful. I'm a bit sleepy right now, and my English is poor at the moment. I hope you understoot what I meant, anyway. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//