VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox And Physical Floppy Drive Question

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 83, by plamy1969

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jorpho, you saved my life!!! IT WORKS, FINALLY WORKS!
Just the command should be: copy a:\*.efe k:
I wish I could do all that with DOSBox or other similar program within my Windows 7 x64 instead on booting the PC every time.
Thank you, Jo22, too!
If you, guys, think that all the procedure can be done within Win7 x64 with some DOS emulator, please give an idea about how to mislead such a program so that it can access the floppy drive.
Thank you once again!

Reply 61 of 83, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I'm glad that solves the problem. Even if you can get something running with some DOS emulator, you'll probably end up with different problems.

The only thing I might want to add is that there are, in fact, utilities such as NTFS4DOS that provide read-only access NTFS drives in DOS. There might be enough space for one of them on the "win98bootdisk" – then you could copy files straight from your hard drive to the "drive K:" without having to use a second floppy disk. But I've never used one of those utilities before.

Reply 62 of 83, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a fine idea, though! Haven't tried this for years.. The one I was familiar with was NTFS Reader for DOS.
I wonder how well it will handle modern Tebibyte drives (okay, in this case it's Terabyte actually - please forgive me). 😁

@plamy1969 Glad you got it working! ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 63 of 83, by plamy1969

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does NTFS4DOS work on Windows 7 (x64)? If it works under boot DOS, no reason to use it since I get EPSDISK successful now.
What I meant is if there is a program or a way to run any DOS program on Windows 7, so that I can do what I need without booting the PC every time.
Some people talk about VM Player, but not sure if it will do the job.

Reply 64 of 83, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
plamy1969 wrote:

Does NTFS4DOS work on Windows 7 (x64)? If it works under boot DOS, no reason to use it since I get EPSDISK successful now.

NTFS4DOS would be for accessing your hard drive after booting to DOS (or with "win98bootdisk"). It will not help you get EPSDISK running in Windows 7.

Reply 65 of 83, by plamy1969

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you think if there is a chance to boot to DOS in a virtual drive (like VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.) with access to the floppy? Actually no need my NTFS drives to be accessed since I can use the floppy diskettes. No problem to use second floppy diskette if I keep the PC without booting every time. The only problem I expect is how to access the floppy drive from a virtual machine.

Reply 66 of 83, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
plamy1969 wrote:

Do you think if there is a chance to boot to DOS in a virtual drive (like VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.) with access to the floppy?

We already spent two pages trying to discuss that and getting nowhere.

Actually no need my NTFS drives to be accessed since I can use the floppy diskettes. No problem to use second floppy diskette if I keep the PC without booting every time.

Fair enough.

Reply 67 of 83, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Plamy, why don't you get yourself a good ol' laptop from you local waste disposal site ?
They're cheap and all you have do is to make sure it has a good floppy drive.
Then you can program your synthesizer anytime and in any place. 😀

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 68 of 83, by plamy1969

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Plamy, why don't you get yourself a good ol' laptop from you local waste disposal site ?

Oh, here I can buy an old PC with floppy for $10 if I want. But to place another PC at home... hehe.
Ok, thank you once again, guys! If I need some help, I'll write here.

Reply 69 of 83, by plamy1969

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Just a question: since I have also a netbook Lenovo Ideapad S10e, do you think that I can do the job if I attach an external USB floppy drive?
Just not sure if EPSDISK can access an USB floppy drive, even if I install Windows XP or 98 on the netbook.

Reply 70 of 83, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, I don't know. Some BIOSes do include a floppy emulation, if you do boot from diskette.

Windows XP and 98 do include some kind of hardware emulation for DOS programs, but I don't know how good it is.
Windows 98SE doesn't even support USB media out-of-box (excluding NUSB). You would have to install a third-party driver provided by the vendor.

If you ask me, the safest would be a normal laptop (386 or higher for "win98bootdisk") with an internal floppy drive.
The can be found in several places. Sometimes you can get them even for free.

//My video channel//

Reply 71 of 83, by plamy1969

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

If you ask me, the safest would be a normal laptop (386 or higher for "win98bootdisk") with an internal floppy drive.
The can be found in several places. Sometimes you can get them even for free.

Of course, but unfortunately I can't find any laptop with internal floppy.

Reply 72 of 83, by plamy1969

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my netbook I can run EPSDISK.EXE because of 32-bit Windows 7 (not x64). In this case, is there a way to make EPSDISK (via DOSBox ot other program) do successfully its commands to a virtual floppy drive (floppy image/emulator created on the hard drive, etc.)? I'm sorry, I don't have any idea if this is possible and how to do it, but just asking.

Reply 73 of 83, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, there is in fact a program called Virtual Floppy Drive.
http://vfd.sourceforge.net/

I emphasize that this will not help you run EPSDISK in Windows 7x64.

Reply 74 of 83, by plamy1969

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

No, I mean in Windows 7 x86 on my netbook.
Going to read about Virtual Floppy Drive now... I hope, if EPSDISK can work with Virtual Floppy Drive, then I can copy the content of it to a real diskette, no matter that it's not a PC format.

Reply 75 of 83, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

If it was something else, MS-DOS Player could help. It can run 16bit text-mode programs on the command line in Win x64..

plamy1969 wrote:

I hope, if EPSDISK can work with Virtual Floppy Drive, then I can copy the content of it to a real diskette, no matter that it's not a PC format.

Hopefully it can handle the odd disk formats used by EPSDISK..

//My video channel//

Reply 77 of 83, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps you should start a new thread if you have new questions? This is completely unrelated to your original query.

I like to use Rawwrite.
http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite

Winimage is another popular program, but it is shareware.

Reply 78 of 83, by plamy1969

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Perhaps you should start a new thread if you have new questions? This is completely unrelated to your original query. […]
Show full quote

Perhaps you should start a new thread if you have new questions? This is completely unrelated to your original query.

I like to use Rawwrite.
http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite

Winimage is another popular program, but it is shareware.

Thank you, Jorpho, but this software is for up to Win XP 32-bit. I doubt it will work on Win 7 x64.

Reply 79 of 83, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why don't you try it and find out?

The vast majority of 32-bit Windows software will still run on 64-bit Windows unless it requires specialized drivers (i.e. like Virtual Floppy Drive).