VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by moknok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As you know many games can be patched under dosbox to the latest version.

When I try to patch a game lets just call it game.exe It says inflating then patching then it says patching done then

i get an error that states something like error unable to move file blah -> game.exe 😐

| WIN98SE non OEM | PII MMX | 350Mhz | 384RAM | Voodoo3 2000 PCI | DX7 | 126GB+ | Yamaha DS-XG Sound |

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
moknok wrote:

As you know many games can be patched under dosbox to the latest version.

Actually, no, I have no idea what you are referring to.

When I try to patch a game lets just call it game.exe It says inflating then patching then it says patching done then

i get an error that states something like error unable to move file blah -> game.exe 😐

Well, this sounds like a problem with the specific game you're trying to patch. It's quite likely the folders need to be mounted in a specific fashion.

If all else fails, considering it says "unable to move file blah -> game.exe", can't you just rename the file "blah" yourself? Or does the file "blah" get deleted?

Reply 2 of 6, by moknok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. yes you do.

2. the files are put into the game folder but not into the main .exe itself.

Attachments

• pathese.png
    Filename
    pathese.png
    File size
    5.01 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    odd screen
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • pthese.png
    Filename
    pthese.png
    File size
    2.54 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    this is what the patch looks like, then i just patch it with dosbox or atleast try
    File license

| WIN98SE non OEM | PII MMX | 350Mhz | 384RAM | Voodoo3 2000 PCI | DX7 | 126GB+ | Yamaha DS-XG Sound |

Reply 3 of 6, by moknok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind. I think I may have an earlier version of the game than what the patcher is trying to patch me up to. The patch i need is missing anyway since it's 1996 and no sites have it not even archived the patcher is the only one that has been been archived.

If you were wondering the game it is muzzle velocity, A really fun game so far. I have 1.10 when version 1.23 existed 😒

Attachments

• mvfront.png
    Filename
    mvfront.png
    File size
    93.01 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
moknok wrote:

1. yes you do.

Although it is just as feasible as running any other DOS program in DOSBox, I can't recall anyone particularly discussing the patching of games under DOSBox. Whatever.

Nevermind. I think I may have an earlier version of the game than what the patcher is trying to patch me up to.

It seems unlikely that it would say "patching done" if the game could not be patched at all.

If you open RUNME.BAT in Notepad, what does it say? And can you take a screenshot of the error message that says "unable to move file blah -> game.exe" ?

Reply 5 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The screen grab looks like you ran PATCHER rather than the bat, which probably has the switches it is looking for. Also, you should ask DOSBox questions in the DOSBox forum.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers