VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ravenxau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

First post here - I thought I would share a neat little setup to run Doom using the dos version of Boom 2.02 and DosBox

First set up a new folder with all these files:-

boom.exe
cwsdpmi.exe
doom.wad (or doom2.wad, doom1.wad,etc...)
dosbox.exe
dosbox.conf
sdl.dll
sdl_net.dll

Now for the cool bit:-

edit the dosbox.conf file with notepad so the only text in it is as follows...

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
[render]
scaler=2xsai
[autoexec]
mount c .
c:
boom
exit

this will start doom when you run dosbox in full screen mode - the 2xsai scaler gives a nice smoothed out display that almost looks high resolution without any extra wad files

the mount c . tells the system to mount the local folder as dosbox's game folder. This makes the whole setup portable for running from a flash drive

you may need to use the -IWAD parameter in dosbox.conf depending on which IWAD you are using (I have successfully tested with doom.wad and doom1.wad)

Give it a try and tell me what you think.

Reply 5 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

Why use DOSBox at all, when there are surely a multitude of other Doom ports for Windows that work just as well and probably also implement 2xsai?

Or maybe he/she wants to use Boom and only Boom.

Being part of the doom community for over a decade I can perfectly understand the motivation for running Boom in an emulator, especially when there's a large community of mappers working in the bare specific-engine-cruft-free Boom standards, one would want to test their maps in Boom to ensure it plays like it should, and in a convenient way this thread is about.

You'd also be surprised to know there are hardcore mappers still targeting the original DOS executables with all their tricks that a "modern" sourceport would fail in one way or another.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 7, by ravenxau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

I thought that's what "Chocolate Doom" was for. Or is that still not perfect?

"Choco" works fine - as does ZDoom, Doomsday,etc.....

I just thought I'd share what I had learned tinkering around with dosbos and various dos based source ports

I must say as a "Knee Deep" fan, I like my setup fpr playing the old vanilla wads from the 90's

latest plays are :- Slaughter Until Death (which I like to think of as the original "Thy Flesh..." and IMO better as well) and Enjay's "Come Out Fighting"