VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

its been suggested to pop here not Exactly for sepficly RPi support but more a Dosbox Problem.

just got done fixing the mouse problem (had to change mouse type a few times and switch from a combo Keyboard/mouse to seperate ones) installed the S3 Drivers and installed SB16 drivers. now im not getting a Studder persay, but like the first split second of anything/game that play a sound other than MIDI, it repeats (like Win 3.1 startup sound or ex the intro sound that leads to a door knocking when you start up Sim Tower) (or like the sound "Ding" , it 'd repeat or kinda studder a "Di"

im unable to say this is the version of Dosbox ported to ARM, a RPi(RetroPie) Problem, or a config/bad driver problem.

if someone's gotten around this Problem (Regardless Platform ) care to share how?

Reply 1 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Never encountered that with Desktop DOSBox

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you use 16Bit stereo @44KHz ? Please try to use 8Bit instead.
I had this issue ("stuttering" noise) when playing back music with SB16 in Windows 3.1.
No idea if that's a driver issue or a bug.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 4, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CaelThunderwing wrote:
its been suggested to pop here not Exactly for sepficly RPi support but more a Dosbox Problem. […]
Show full quote

its been suggested to pop here not Exactly for sepficly RPi support but more a Dosbox Problem.

just got done fixing the mouse problem (had to change mouse type a few times and switch from a combo Keyboard/mouse to seperate ones) installed the S3 Drivers and installed SB16 drivers. now im not getting a Studder persay, but like the first split second of anything/game that play a sound other than MIDI, it repeats (like Win 3.1 startup sound or ex the intro sound that leads to a door knocking when you start up Sim Tower) (or like the sound "Ding" , it 'd repeat or kinda studder a "Di"

im unable to say this is the version of Dosbox ported to ARM, a RPi(RetroPie) Problem, or a config/bad driver problem.

if someone's gotten around this Problem (Regardless Platform ) care to share how?

Change the buffering. You need at least 1024 for 44.1/48khz. But you should also realize that the ARM (Raspberry Pi) devices are not as powerful as a desktop. Some benchmarks put it at 14 times slower than a desktop i5/i7, so it may just very well be that.

If you have debugging enabled, turn it off, the actual debugger/logging will drag down sound playback.

Reply 4 of 4, by HowlingFoxRouko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually made an account just to reply to this because I was having the same issue. It seems that if you use the SB16W3X install files, it wants to default the interrupt to 5. DOSBox uses the interrupt as 7. Make sure that this is set correctly or you will 100% have this error. I hope this spares someone else the ol' duncecap feeling.